Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me Help you - Making the Ultimate Bonsai Guide

+7
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
fiona
Michael Cooper
Rick36
Vance Wood
JimLewis
experiencedbonsai
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Help me Help you - Making the Ultimate Bonsai Guide - Page 2 Empty Re: Help me Help you - Making the Ultimate Bonsai Guide

Post  adam1234 Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:59 am

Hi experiencedbonsai,

An area of research to look into for your book might be treatment of rot on deadwood especially on deciduous trees in a region with wet climate. Species that you might want to research prone to rot would be like Ligustrum (Privet). It would be nice to know of new types of material used in treatment other than the common preservatives. It would also be very helpful if you could conduct experiments documenting the results on mature old trees that have a large amount of deadwood. Looking forward to the free book you are going to write. Many thanks.

Adam

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Help me Help you - Making the Ultimate Bonsai Guide - Page 2 Empty Re: Help me Help you - Making the Ultimate Bonsai Guide

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:26 am

Vance Wood wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:I agree that the request could have been better phrased and backed up, but I think that could have been said by one person and kinda left at that. They are asking for questions not the answers. Sorry, but responses are in my view unnecessarily hostile, and there's nothing that winds me up than when folks make accusations or insinuations in an unfounded manner. I have no idea about who these people are or how they plan to achieve what they do, but let's ask that, and not insinuate that they are trying to steal from others and that they are clueless because they grow bonsai!

Let's hope they give us more background, but after that response I'd be surprised if they don't choose to look elsewhere.

Chill people!

Andrew:  Have you ever spent hours researching a subject and then spent time writting about it to share with friends just to find a couple of years latter that several people have taken your words, almost verbatim, and published them on their Web sites without a single acreditation?  And then (sorry for the beginning preposition) will take you to task for something you said on the INTERNET.  I have had this happen more than once.

I was being cautious nothing more.  When you call me on the phone and I hear a bunch of people on the phone in the background (an obvious phone bank) I find it an invite to ask more questions than they can, especially when I'm told the ubiquitous;  "I'm not trying to sell you anything".  My imediate reply is" yes you are otherwise; how do you justify calling me in the first place-----a public service-----the kindness of your heart?"  Mostly they hang up.  If it is a political candidate, I usually tell them I think their guy is a gutter-slime-dog-crap-puke-chunk and they usually hang up.

And as to looking else where?  Where might that be?  There are only two really viable bonsai web sites; this one and Bonsai Nut.  All of the others have the activety of a hibernating bear; they are alive but barely.

No I haven't Vance, and to be honest it would not bug me as I'm not here to make money off bonsai or to seek accreditation for whatever I contribute to the world of bonsai. I'm just here to enjoy myself. I can understand that the motive of others may differ. If others want to be dishonest, that's their problem, not mine. I just think you have read a lot into the initial post, and I think you are hammering it unfairly. That's all.

Now you want photo's of their trees. Who cares for goodness sake! Why is is so important to some that others must show their trees to be treated with anything other than disdain? If you can't stand to be part of an attempt by a novice to create a facility where others can hopefully learn, then don't, but then just don't take part. No need to rub their inexperienced noses in it. Just move along.

Try browsing ausbonsai. In my mind probably the most friendly forum, and packed with a load of good info. It is bigger and more active than this one, and I think I have yet to come across such a negative thread. Of course the fact that it is Southern Hemisphere based may not pork for you. Bonsainut is a great forum. I stopped supporting/using it a while back because of their tolerance for open racism, but they seem to have gotten a lid on that now to some extent.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:32 am

Luca, Harrison,

Good luck with your project. Don't let the frosty reception here put you off. There are many good folk who frequent this forum, so hopefully they will help you out with some material to consider and research. I guess the only immediate questions I have is where this post will live, and whether it is going to be a living thread?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 am

experiencedbonsai wrote:Well, I didn’t expect this many responses.

Sorry for the grammatical errors, I did leave school in year 10 so try not to let a few misplaced apostrophes get the better of you.

Now let me clear some of this up as I may have started in the wrong direction which got everyone jumping to conclusions.

Firstly, my name is Luca Samson. My partner’s (and friends) name is Harrison Tallis. Together we make up the Bonsai Bible Team.

We’re not very well known as we have both been perusing our bonsai passions as a simple hobby at home. Harry and I met around 3 years ago and since then we have been growing bonsai’s together, swapping tips and useful information we found on the web.

We are not seeking to write a book. We are not looking to steal information. Anything we write will be put up for free with proper accreditations to whoever contributed.

We want to create a unique, awesome post (NOT A BOOK) that you guys will enjoy. Harrison and I have brainstormed some topics but then we thought what better way to come up with ideas than actually ask the people we’re trying to help. So what would you guys like to learn or read about bonsai related? Are there area’s that you’ve found where there isn’t much information?

We have posted a similar request on other forums as we want to try to gather as much information as possible.

I am happy to answer all questions that people may have about this.

I would also like to thank Andrew for the support he has provided.

So please, don’t think of us as some money hungry snakes. We just need your help.

The Bonsai Bible Team

In your original post you say guide not thread or post which smacks of writing a book. But I do have a question to start off with.
Why did the juniper bonsai go to the bar?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:27 pm

experiencedbonsai wrote:
So please, don’t think of us as some money hungry snakes.

HEY !!!
easy with the slurs mate !!!

lol! 

now, i hate to state the obvious, but isnt what you are trying to do, EXACTLY what this forum is already doing ???  Confused scratch

kevin
real name

i could always use a laugh, so, why did the juniper bonsai go to the bar (or pub as the case may be)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:57 pm

He went to the bar to get some jin! I know. 3rd grade humor but what the heck it's getting pretty serious around here.
And yes. I'm with you on isn't that what this forum is for?
I think they should post on Bonsai Nut. See what happens there. Please.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:33 pm

M. Frary wrote:  He went to the bar to get some jin! I know. 3rd grade humor but what the heck it's getting pretty serious around here.
And yes. I'm with you on isn't that what this forum is for?
 I think they should post on Bonsai Nut. See what happens there. Please.

Yes that would be fun. I haven't seen it yet.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:41 pm

M. Frary wrote:  He went to the bar to get some jin!

wheres a good emoticon rim-shot when you need one !  geek
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm

My first question was...do you have names....
After this question was answered, would I ask...can you show us your work, as you say you are experienced.
later again, would I say, I dont want to be in your book, no matter what

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:My first question was...do you have names....
After this question was answered, would I ask...can you show us your work, as you say you are experienced.
later again, would I say, I dont want to be in your book, no matter what

Kind regards Yvonne

OK, saw the second post from experienced....I just want to stick to this forum, it works for me, dont need a another one, to tell me what I said...all people can ask me questions here, and respond to anything ,so?

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:40 pm

This thread is going nowhere now so I am locking it down.

Some thoughts though:

I wonder if perhaps Andrew Legg in fact has a good point about seeing things through fresh eyes and if that's what Luca and Harry can do, then it can only be a plus.

Do you need to have a gazillion years of experience before you are "qualified" or allowed to comment? That is a very individual thing. Three years tip top experience is as good as twenty years of piffling about IMHO.

Do you need to be an "expert" to write about bonsai? Experience gives people credibility of course, and you only have to look at the raft of absolutely dire stuff out there on the internet to see how a little learning is indeed a dangerous thing. But most reporters and compilers start from little or no knowledge of their topic. The skill is first in finding the information and then in writing it up. It seems to me that what this is what these guys are attempting. Let's give them the chance.

I suggest that if anyone has topics they'd like to suggest, that they PM experiencedbonsai direct.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2