Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie.

+4
bigsteve
Jay Gaydosh
landerloos
RyanFrye
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Empty White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 am

Wolfie turned me on to this amazing Orchid accent planting, I purchased 6 tubers off eBay for £18.00! They are VERY EXPENSIVE… the benefit is that the double every year so long as you maintain them well. They are said to be hardy down to -6C (20F). They should be planted in humus-rich soil, in a cool house or greenhouse. I have kept mine in my greenhouse up to last week and have just brought them into the house because the winter in the North of England is arriving thick and fast.

I think mine are late flowering? Coz they are supposed to flower in September and mine have just come out. Thanks again Wolfie

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Orchid10

Note for you romantics out there:
A legend has it that during a period of conflict, a girl from the Castle of Setagaya (Tokyo) sent a letter to help her lover who was fighting in a battle. She gave it to a white Egret to deliver it to him. However, the Egret did not reach him and, where the bird fell to the ground, a beautiful flower began to grow. This flower was the White Egret Orchid (Habenaria radiata), known as Sagisoo to the Japanese people, and now the flower mascot of the Castle of Setagaya.

Last edited by Tony on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Empty Re: White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie.

Post  RyanFrye Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 pm

I have purchased this orchid twice and each time it has wilted away on me before flowering. I think it is because of the water quality I used. I didn't realize how sensitive they are to that. Yours look beautiful! I never heard the legend behind it either, very nice Very Happy
RyanFrye
RyanFrye

Back to top Go down

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Empty Re: White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie.

Post  landerloos Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 pm

RyanFrye wrote:I have purchased this orchid twice and each time it has wilted away on me before flowering. I think it is because of the water quality I used. I didn't realize how sensitive they are to that. Yours look beautiful! I never heard the legend behind it either, very nice Very Happy
I also tried them 3 times, this year the last ones died on me.
But in Februari I order some new ones, I found a adres for the vargiatet leaves cultivar.

Tony,
you lucky pirat Wink
Great pictures of a great plant.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanFrye Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:06 pm

landerloos wrote:
But in Februari I order some new ones, I found a adres for the vargiatet leaves cultivar.

Peter

I have seen the varigated variety on-line but I haven't found a source for them here in the US. I'm probably going to give them another try....I can't resist! Would you happen to know a source for the varigated variety that ships in the US?
RyanFrye
RyanFrye

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:11 pm

RyanFrye wrote:
landerloos wrote:

Peter

I have seen the varigated variety on-line but I haven't found a source for them here in the US. I'm probably going to give them another try....I can't resist! Would you happen to know a source for the varigated variety that ships in the US?
Unfortunally not, they only ship inside the E.U.
Good hunting!
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Empty here is another photo

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:29 pm

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Orchid11

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Tony wrote:]

Evil or Very Mad Wink thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Empty White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Tony. £18.00 for 6 tubers... Expensive!?!? Me thinks you find a bargain. I have 15 or so native terrestrial Orchids and the most Ive paid is £30 for one!! W hen I got it, I opened the box and found what appeared to be a small pile of noodles. It is the Lady Slipper Orchid though.
Ive found that all the ground based Orchids thrive on neglect. The tiniest ammount of feed and dont over water or you'll never see them again. Ill try and find a photo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:07 pm

The Wild Orchid Company, in Carversville, PA , USA caries the White Egret. It says order in September for delivery in Spring. I think I'm going to try them. THey also carry a basic orchid handbook.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:48 pm

There are a couple of Orchid growers I've used in the past. both on the web and mail order. Now is the time to order. Hardy Orchids in England and Crustacare in Belgium. Could'nt find the photo but heres paintinng to show the flower. Plant is about six to eight inches tall.

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Img_0412

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:50 pm

RyanFrye wrote:
landerloos wrote:

Peter

Hi try http://rareplants.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=170&strPageHistory=cat
he ships worldwide and his plants are as good as his website
regards
steve
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:07 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hi Tony. £18.00 for 6 tubers... Expensive!?!? Me thinks you find a bargain.
Will you should know by now how CHEAP I really am...

When these babies arrived in an envelope they were like shriveled baked beans, I planted in chopped (fresh) Sphagnum Moss and bark chips... in a shohin bonsai pot and this is where they will remain after flowering... is it OK to overwinter still in the soil but protected from frost or will they rot?

regards

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Sorry to upset the apple cart guys, but 3 of these were being given away with every order over £8 in the seed catalogue my wife gets every year.

And before you ask, no we haven't still got it.

And yes, I'll ask her which company it was.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Harleyrider wrote: but 3 of these were being given away with every order over £8 in the seed catalogue my wife gets every year.
Steve check the details "shriveled baked beans" pale
Yours will probably be 57 varieties cyclops

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Nope, definately the same as these. I remember 'cos I had to stop her ordering £8 of stuff we didn't need just to get the orchids.

How evil am I? Twisted Evil
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  iasnore Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:46 pm

......is it OK to overwinter still in the soil but protected from frost or will they rot?

Yes. I overwinter them in their pots along with my trees at 30-35 degrees F. They have always sprouted back.
iasnore
iasnore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:52 pm

iasnore wrote:......is it OK to overwinter still in the soil but protected from frost or will they rot?

Yes. I overwinter them in their pots along with my trees at 30-35 degrees F. They have always sprouted back.

great thanks 30-35 F... now whats that in C ?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Great pics...I love the Egret Flower, and have bought from Wild Orchid Company in the past. Interesting story to go with it Tony. I used to use o pic of one for my avatar!

Here's a pic from previous years of the larger variety Gyoku Ryu Ka

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Egretg10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 pm

The C stands for Confusing!

Thats -1.1111111 to +1.6666667 in C

It is amazing, a 5 degree spread in F = a 2.7777778 spread in C

I had to look it up, I'd freeze to death standing outside trying to figure it out in my head! Sad

Think that's bad, it took me two days to figure out the "the North of England" was in England.

According to the map, if you drive North of England you run into SCOTLAND! Rolling Eyes

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote: Think that's bad, it took me two days to figure out the "the North of England" was in England.

According to the map, if you drive North of England you run into SCOTLAND! Rolling Eyes
If you run into Scotland proclaiming it to be the North of England, you will have to be prepared to run back out again. Very fast! Very fast indeed!

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Braveh10
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

fiona wrote:
Jay Gaydosh wrote: Think that's bad, it took me two days to figure out the "the North of England" was in England.

If you run into Scotland proclaiming it to be the North of England, you will have to be prepared to run back out again. Very fast! Very fast indeed!

White Egret Orchid accent planting… thanks Wolfie. Braveh10

Yupp, I looked at the map of England and just North of England is Scotland. Now, when I get to Scotland, I would not imply that Scotland was The North of England.

Being of Scottish descent myself, I would declare England to be The South of Scotland!

Come on Lass, I thnk we can take them!

thumbs up
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Jay. I'd never have guessed you were of Scotish decent!!. Is it true that if a woman wears a kilt, she's a cross dresser???

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 pm

will baddeley wrote:Jay. I'd never have guessed you were of Scotish decent!!. Is it true that if a woman wears a kilt, she's a cross dresser???

Yupp! (Although there are two general exceptions, when a woman is dressed for Scottish dancing and the kilt is the appropriate costume for the dance and when the woman is a piper or drummer in a bagpipe band. Fiona might be able to fill us in on any other times where a woman in kilt would be appropriate.

As for looking Scottish, I'll leave that to better judges than myself.

A funny story, a few years back at our Highland Games & Celtic Festival we had an association rent vendor space to sell funky little Scottish bears. At first glance (and from a wee distance) they all looked to be well dressed lasses all in full kilt. Then, like an Iraqi scud missile (looks dangerous from a distance but can't hit shite), as you got closer, you suddenly became aware that they were all men, dressed as women, dressed in full kilt. They were cross dressing, cross dresers! affraid HA!

Unfortunately, we decided to not invite them back after one of them was arrested for pulling a skign dubh on a patron of our games because they wouldn't get out of the way so that the CD-CD (crossdressing crossdressers) could get through to their booth. Too Funny!
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Jay... don't start the whole... Scotland England stuff when we all know that If the English had not been so stupid you guys over the pond would all be speaking Dutch. New York... New Amsterdam more like Razz

Tony From Up North (Just below the Borders)

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am

AC-DC CD-CDers!

I move we get back to white egret flowers before I feel the need to pull a sgian dubh on myself!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next