Carolina Bonsai Expo

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carolina Bonsai Expo

Post  JimLewis on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Well, as expected Ken Duncan's split trunk bald cypress and the overall display it was associated with did well at the Carolina Bonsai Expo.

Here is the tree and then most of the display it was a part of.

It was darker than a witch's left elbow in that corner and these are hand-held shots, so pardon any fuzziness.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Carolina Bonsai Expo

Post  JimLewis on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Kathy Shaner was the critiquer and did a fine job. She chose a shohin tree as her Best in Show. Good for her!

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Here's another bald cypress, a weeping form. A bit odd for a bc, but a conversation piece.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Here is the "People's Choice" award, voted upon by the public who visited. This is a 5-man tree. It is HUGE.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:38 pm

A couple of other trees. A Korean hornbeam.

And, yes Virginia that IS a Serissa. It's about 18 inches long. I could do without the deadwood, but still . . .

I hope some other folks got some better pics.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 am

Jim,

Thanks for sharing. What's the group in the middle of the second shot - hornbeams, cedar elms???

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  flor1 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 am

Good show we went on Saturday. Plants and displays were great to see. Wish their had been a few more vendors with plants though not a lot left by the time we left.

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlinsin on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks for posting Jim! The "people's choice" forests is tremendous! What's the species? Post more when you can.

Matt

mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks for the pics Jim...I'll try to post some tomorrow.

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am

I like the Japanese Black Pine that Kathy picked but it sure looks like cut needles. Did she comment about that?

The split trunk BC looks great.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 pm

The group in the center of pic 2 are Cedar elms.

The needles didn't look cut to me, and I doubt she's have chosen it if they were. She commented on things like that.

I look forward to your pics, John. These are abut all I got. Good to see you there, though you seem to have disappeared later. Laughing

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I posted a picture of every tree on display at this year's show elsewhere, but can't bring myself to go through the trouble again here. If you're interested see: http://bonsaistudygroup.com/administrators/carolina-bonsai-expo-2009/

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Us common mortals (or at least this common mortal) seem to be locked out of that link - maybe we need administrator priviledges? Any way of "unlocking" it - even temporarily - for us? I'd really like to see the pics.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote: ... it sure looks like cut needles.
I thought they were prediminantly cut needles too - based mostly on the fact that I've spent the best part of 2 years with my JBP semi-cascade (which is really quite similar to this one) getting the needles to reduce. On the other hand, according to Marco Invernizzi, it is not uncommon for exhibitors at Japanese shows to pick up a pair or scissors and cut the needles immediately prior to exhibiting. That certainly is what he did with mine the first time I showed it at a British Shohin Association exhibition. A jaw-dropping moment for me but he reassured me it was perfectly acceptable. Hmmm!

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:19 pm

fiona wrote:Us common mortals (or at least this common mortal) seem to be locked out of that link - maybe we need administrator priviledges? Any way of "unlocking" it - even temporarily - for us? I'd really like to see the pics.

The easiest way is just to register. I forgot about that.

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:22 pm

JimLewis wrote:Here's another bald cypress, a weeping form. A bit odd for a bc, but a conversation piece.

Odd indeed. I would like it much more if it went the literati route and had a few, small pads at the top.

Thanks for the pics Jim.

Ed

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:16 pm

The leaflets are of the variety commonly called "pond cypress" which often have a dwarfed look "in the wild" but The weeping bit is a tad over the top as far as I'm concerned -- at least if "bald cypress-ness" was intended.

This reminds me a bit of Rapunzel. Maybe if there was a little mudman climbing up the "hair" . . . rendeer

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Alberta spruce

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:29 pm

Reminds me of a hippy, head down,rounded shoulders, mid step with some big ol bell bottoms. This is a fantastic bit of material, just needs a good haircut!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:55 pm

We do have cypress here in South Florida that tend to "weep" naturally. Here is one that I displayed at EPCOT years ago. Although it can look "contrived" in bonsai, I like the weeping style.

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines Florida zone 10c

Last edited by Ed Trout on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed picture)

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Kathy did comment on some cut needles on the shohin pine, but accepted them. Bjorn Bjorholm did a nice job wiring the tree.
More pics...azalea

Last edited by John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm

another azalea (sorry for the terrible pic)

Last edited by John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Winning group display (L to R, Bald Cypress, Cedar Elm group, Robusta Green Juniper/Japanes Mountain azalea planting/ Shimpaku junipers)

Last edited by John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:45 pm

more
two hinokis

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 pm

more