Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carving a lot of wood

+8
landerloos
flor1
rock
dorothy7774
Jay Gaydosh
EdMerc
bisjoe
Michael T
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Carving a lot of wood Empty Carving a lot of wood

Post  Michael T Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Folks, I have two large projects. One is an amur maple (acer ginnala) and the other is a large yew.

I need to creat large hollows and reduce the stumps of large trunks. Think 3 to 4 diameter stumps.

I've been pricing die grinders and angle grinders. Frankly, they're kind of pricey.

What do I really need? Do I really need to bite the bullett and by a higher end model or can I buy something cheaper?

Any must have specs suggestions like amps, variable speed, etc. would be helpful as well.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:09 pm

Kitting yourself out in one hit is going to cost you!! Tools I use are the Makita die grinder [£120.00]. Cant give you specifications as mine is end of line. Dremmel multi [£80.00] and then there's the associated cutting bits that vary between £60.00 and a few pounds. Sorry I cant give you $. Have a look at Kaizen bonsai for specifications

Back to top Go down

Carving a lot of wood Empty Re: Carving a lot of wood

Post  bisjoe Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:30 pm

I use a larger Dremel and because of other hobby work I have two kinds. For bonsai work it has to be a corded model, the cordless just doesn't have enough power to do a clean job on green wood. I use various bits but my favorite is a rounded tip 1/4" router bit. Also, the 1.25" circular saw bit is handy. You will get a lot better control if you buy one large enough to get your second hand on it for steadiness. I think mine was about $69 US.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Carving a lot of wood Empty Beaver tools

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi Micheal, without doubt the best carving tools I have used are Portuguese and they are called "Beaver"... Easy tiger ... they are well balanced. You will need large (for removing bulk) medium (for refining the shape) and small for the detail... followed by a hand held stiff wire brush.

find them here, the guy is called Carlos. Check out the tools here: http://www.beaverbonsaitools.com/en/en_index.html

I use a Makita Dia Grinder check here

and a Variable dremmel check here

have fun... but always remember when you have finished carving there must be NO EVIDENCE that you have actually done any work... bit like plastic surgery pig

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:40 am

I have the better corded dremel and a multi accessory kit, but it's definitely not up to these jobs.

Why does everyone seem to use the Makita die grinder. Why can't I just some other brand and buy the specialty bits for that? Is there something special about the Makita???

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Tony, do you find that the Dremmel has enough torque to put the Beaver cutters to work? Or will something beefier, like the die grinder, be necessary?

Thanks,
Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Arbortech makes a Pr0-4 Woodcarver for a shop grinder. It can be dangerous if use incorrectly, but it is a disk that attaches to your angle grinder that looks like a circular chainsaw attachment. If you have a lot of wood to remove before you get to the final "plastic surgery" point of carving, this might be the tool you need.

Arbortech Pro-4 Woodcarver

Jay

Last edited by Jay Gaydosh on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing URL link)
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:17 pm

EdMerc wrote:Tony, do you find that the Dremmel has enough torque to put the Beaver cutters to work? Or will something beefier, like the die grinder, be necessary? Thanks, Ed
Hi Ed, the small Beaver is perfect for the Dremmel, the chuck size (I don't know it) is small. the bigger guys I use in the Makita.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Carving a lot of wood Empty Grinder

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:23 pm

The Makita with variable speed works splendid for me. I can use the wirebrush (25 000 rpm, automotive supply) to create additional fine grain on hard wood and with low speed to clean up deadwood.

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Michael T wrote:I have the better corded dremel and a multi accessory kit, but it's definitely not up to these jobs.

Why does everyone seem to use the Makita die grinder. Why can't I just some other brand and buy the specialty bits for that? Is there something special about the Makita???

I hear you, Michael T.

You want to go budget... but you need some power, I use this puppy from harbor Freight, 49.99, cheaper if on sale.

Carving a lot of wood 4043210

Harbor Freight Tools
2249 HIKES LANE
LOUISVILLE, KY 40218 Ask for Lee
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  flor1 Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 pm

If you have a large amount of material to remove personally I think the Dremel is worthless. Burned out two in last year. Look at the Foredom not cheap but will last a lifetime. Designed to be used up to 8 to 10 hr. a day. Dremels fine for small work but that's about it.

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:04 pm

I only have a dremel untill now, and I use a beaver tool aswell, small very sharp and easy to handle, I tried to use the one Tony hase but need a lott of practice.
Carlos's irons are great and made by a bonsai lover thats why they are great.
Even the small ones in a dremel take a lott of wood.
Here's the link to beaver bonsaitools: http://www.beaverbonsaitools.com/en/en_index.html

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Hey Rock,

You hit the nail on the head.

That's available in Louisville???

Does it have enough power not to burn out quickly. I don't want to have to pay multiple installments of $49.99.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  flor1 Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:55 pm

I trie'd the one from Harbor Freight didn't last half a day befor dieing. Returned guy at the store told me that they had lot of problems with them. Finally sucked it up and bought the Foredom never looked back. Good luck on your decision. Arrow

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:31 pm

The majority of the inexpensive Harbour Freight items are low end, mediocre quality tools made in China...that's why they are cheap. The saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. I coughed up the $200 plus price to get the Makita variable speed die grinder last year. Sure, it was expensive, but it easily does whatever is asked of it and I will hopefully never have to replace it because it is well made and built to last.

Dave

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Im on my second makita. Although very robust they can burn out with heavy use. Same goes for dremmel. Dont work either for long periods. 15 / 20 mins then give the tool and yourself a rest

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:51 pm

That is why I would go with the standard shop angle grinder. They're durable and depending on the type of wheel used (brush, chainsaw, etc) you can remove a lot of wood ASAP.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:09 pm

I would not recomend an angle grinder at all. The only use I can see is removing external bulk. there's no way you'll get an ag inside a tree and no possibility of refinement work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 pm

I agree, but, using the angle grinder to get the majority of external wood saves you from burning up your smaller cutters before you get to a point where you are concerned with making refined cuts..
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:53 pm

These are the mainstay of my carving arsenal.I personally would'nt use anything else. The proxon is the closest I'll get to an anglegrinder.Carving a lot of wood Img_0413

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Here's an assortment of cutting, texturing and smoothing bits. Some cutters have a long neck to go in deep.Carving a lot of wood Img_0414

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Sorry Jay I missed your last post. I've done a considerable ammount of carving over the years,. My own trees and others through workshops and the majority of that work was carried out internally. I do see alimited use for an angle grinder, likewise a chainsaw.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 pm

No problem Will, I was going with the original post that asked about large wood removal projects. An angle grinder, specifically with discs made for bulk removal, or a chainsaw would do the trick. The fordham, dremel or other electrical tools would be the preferred methof of fine tuning the carving as you get close to the end of the project or in more sensitive areas.

A woodcarving friend of mine swears by her fordham, but even there you risk burning out a motor with grand removal projects.

Me, I try and stay away from the woodcarving as much as possible. It tends to wear heavily on my fingers! What a Face (Joking, but not funny at the time, LOL!)

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:28 pm

I think there's a serious health and safety issue, regarding power tools and a sporran !!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:38 am

Michael T wrote:Hey Rock,

You hit the nail on the head.

That's available in Louisville???

Does it have enough power not to burn out quickly. I don't want to have to pay multiple installments of $49.99.

Yes, used the he'll out of it. If a problem arises, HF has a liberal return policy.
Id suggest these kind of burrs for super aggresive carving, google typhoon

Carving a lot of wood Kb329110

Good luck
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next