Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underground green house for under $300.00

5 posters

Go down

Underground green house for under $300.00 Empty Underground green house for under $300.00

Post  LittleJoe Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:11 am

The article is for vegetables, but why wouldn't it work for Bonsai? Thinking about a small one, if the wife approves.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/build-underground-greenhouse-garden-year-round.html
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Underground green house for under $300.00 Empty Underground Greenhouse

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

It would be fine for winter, but during the growing season you want your trees outdoors in the sun & fresh air.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Underground green house for under $300.00 Empty Re: Underground green house for under $300.00

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:37 am

I'd be careful with that on your property. Something like this could affect the marketability of your home in the future.

I just bought a 6x8 from Harbour Freight....$200. It's serving me very well so far. I have a large lot and saw something like that, but having an above ground greenhouse that can grab as much sun as possible is better for our plants....in my opinion.

19 out here last night......55 in my greenhouse Smile

You coming out this weekend? We have our holiday party and club auction at JC Raulston Arboretum.

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Underground green house for under $300.00 Empty Re: Underground green house for under $300.00

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:31 am

Little Joe,

you might wish to fuse the Geodesic with the idea. The built structure would be a lot stronger and a circle in the earth might be more efficient, as light entering goes.
You can always backfill when you are done.
Nice idea.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Hey Joe I have had 2 greenhouses from the folks over in Goldsboro and am well pleased. They are at Turner Greenhouses
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Underground green house for under $300.00 Empty Underground Greenhouse

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:29 pm

The structure you are looking at is essentially an oversized coldframe. With a small bonsai collection, a conventional coldframe is more suitable. You can build one for next to nothing with a few boards and discarded windows. Your local extension service will tell you how. None of these structures are suitable for tropicals, like Ficus, except a real greenhouse. You will otherwise need to keep your tropicals indoors under lights for the winter.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down