Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Flowering Quince dormancy

3 posters

Go down

Japanese Flowering Quince dormancy Empty Japanese Flowering Quince dormancy

Post  EpicusMaximus Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi,

I am in zone 3. My Japanese flowering quince is currently outside. Temperatures have been around -8 Celsius (17 Fahrenheit) these last few days.

I believe the tree is suitable in zone 5 and up. Any issues with leaving it outside until Christmas provided the temperatures stay above -10 Fahrenheit?

I'd like it to get proper dormancy. How long is enough dormancy?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Japanese Flowering Quince dormancy Empty Japanese Flowering Quince

Post  bonsaisr Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Aargh! pale  I hope your plant is still alive. Find a location for the winter between 30 & 45 F. No, I would not leave it outdoors until Christmas. Most trees will tell you when they have had enough dormancy. The buds will swell, change color, or give some other signal.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Emoticon didn't work.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Japanese Flowering Quince dormancy Empty Re: Japanese Flowering Quince dormancy

Post  EpicusMaximus Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 am

I hope so too but why is it rated zone 5?

The temperatures we have had so far are what somebody would expect in a zone 5 during winter no?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:08 am

I knew that was the next question. For those unfamiliar with USDA hardiness zones, in Zone 5, the average minimum winter temperature is -10 to -20 F. BUT - if a particular species is listed for Zone 5, that means a mature adult plant with its roots IN THE GROUND. For a full-grown plant in a container, you add two zones. A bonsai is even more sensitive. Most of us try to keep our hardy bonsai between 25 and 45 F over the winter. Bill Valavanis has his in a big garage with a couple of salamanders set for 28 F. (A salamander is a kind of gas-fired heater.)
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I'm concerned, but not too worried it's dead yet since the minimum has been -10 celcius so far.

I will bring the tree indoors and put it in a fridge. I have no other in between solution.

Considering it's been dormant for a few weeks now, how much more time should I give it? Until spring when I can take it out, or should I take it out end of december and have it bloom indoors near a window?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

EpicusMaximus wrote:I have no other in between solution.
Actually, you do have two simple alternatives:

1. bury the pot in the ground up to the pot's soil level

2. similarly pile mulch, straw, compost, or similar around the pot sitting on the ground.

Of course, you can always do both in some variation to insulate the roots from the cold as they are when the tree is planted in the ground.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

I have wintered trees in the fridge. Make sure there is no moss or dead leaves. Put the whole tree in a baggie to prevent drying out. When the tree is through with dormancy, it will start growing in the dark. Then you have to figure out what to do with it until spring. A sunny windowsill in an unheated guest room will be best.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:05 pm

0soyoung wrote:bury the pot in the ground up to the pot's soil level
pile mulch, straw, compost, or similar around the pot sitting on the ground.
We are talking about USDA Zone 3 here, average winter minimum can go down to -40 F & C. Obviously he is far north of Montreal. There is no way that poor tree would survive outdoors, even with a rose cone. Does anyone grow bonsai in Virkhoyansk? Laughing 
Wintering in the fridge is an excellent alternative, as long as nobody puts it in the soup.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Oops. Growing zone 5 tree in zone 3!! Wow.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:20 pm

I am in the province of Quebec, not quebec city.

My hardiness zone is somewhere between 4b and 3a. It really depends on the winter.

My quince is my only tree that needs dormancy that I won't leave outside.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm

EpicusMaximus wrote:
My hardiness zone is somewhere between 4b and 3a. It really depends on the winter.
It doesn't work that way. Hardiness zones are constant, based on the average winter minimum over the past 15 years. If you are listed for Zone 3, you are in Zone 3, even if some winters are warmer. Check with Agriculture Canada. Canadian zones are a little different than USDA.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm officially listed as 4b but a few miles from where the map changes to 3a. The difference between these two zones is about 5 degrees on the chart.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:27 pm

I googled on Quebec Hardiness. It's a big province with a wide climate range. What is your post office? Their map has USDA zones, but the old one from 1990. It has changed slightly. Unfortunately, the Quebec map had a & b reversed. In the USDA standard, a is colder & b is warmer.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Allowing for global warming, you are probably in Zone 4a (remember the letters are reversed). That is still too cold to leave a defenseless flowering quince outdoors, even with protection. On to the refrigerator.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down