Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Flowering Quince

2 posters

Go down

Japanese Flowering Quince Empty Japanese Flowering Quince

Post  EpicusMaximus Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Hello,

I purchased a Japanese flowering quince today, which is in bloom.

It's still very cold here, and the tree has been kept indoors over winter (owner said he took it out of dormancy a few weeks ago - i believe he used a fridge).

That being said, it looks healthy enough. When is it safe to bring it outside? When temperatures are constantly above freezing overnight?

In regards to wintering the tree next year, is a basement good enough for dormancy (reduced light and temperature), or should I look for a colder option? An outside shed or garage is probably too cold here (well below freezing).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Japanese Flowering Quince Empty Re: Japanese Flowering Quince

Post  EpicusMaximus Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:26 pm

In regards to dormancy, I have been thinking, and I was wondering if the tree being left outside in zone 3-4 temperature, until late November (when temperatures are slightly above freezing), and then stored in a shed for another 20 days (perhaps until the week before Christmas) would be sufficient dormancy. This way I would avoid any risks related to the extreme January and February cold.

My tree's spring would start indoors, around late December, early January, and then I would keep it inside until late April, beginning of May.

Does this make sense?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Another question; I'm not finding much info online!

Can Quince be bare-rooted?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Which species do you have, japonica or speciosa? If you have 'Chojubai,' I can tell you it is extremely temperamental. Yes, you can put it outdoors when temperatures are above freezing. Meanwhile keep it as cool as possible, like in an unheated room.
Repot very cautiously.
Next fall, leave it outdoors until temperatures go below freezing. In Zone 5, I bring my hardy bonsai in about the second week in November. For you, it is probably late October. I wouldn't play around with dormancy. Leave it in a cold location until it starts to wake up naturally, February or March.
Others with more experience may tell you different.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 pm

I honestly don't know what it is. I bought it off somebody who listed it on a local buy and sell website, and it was listed as "japanese flowering quince"

I know it's in a clump style. I paid a whooping $30 for it Smile

Here are some pics I have of it. Sorry, the overall pic of the tree did not have good lighting but I can provide better ones later.

What do you think? The base is about 3-3.5 inches wide

Japanese Flowering Quince Img_1610

Japanese Flowering Quince Img_1611

Japanese Flowering Quince Img_1612

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

As a wild guess, it looks like Chaenomeles japonica 'White Chojubai.' I wouldn't repot it now that it is all leafed out. See what others say. Just don't overwater. Repot next February or early March.
Your main job this year is to keep chasing back those branches that are bare except for the ends. Contact the nearest bonsai club so they can show you how to do it. If not, what you do is keep pinching & pruning the ends until it buds back lower down.
Also, when you repot, I would cover more of the roots.
You can let it make one or two quinces for interest after it is through blooming.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down