Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lucky Bean Tree

3 posters

Go down

Lucky Bean Tree Empty Lucky Bean Tree

Post  chadley999 Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

I was out looking around today and i came across a lucky bean tree. It's about crayon sized thick and 8 inches tall. It really caught my eye as it looks very much like wisteria. Has anyone ever grown one as a house plant or tried using bonsai techniques on one of these before? It looks to be similar to a scheffelera and i plan on treating it as such unless anyone warns otherwise. Anyone feel free to chime in on this, thanks!!

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Lucky Bean Tree Empty Re: Lucky Bean Tree

Post  chadley999 Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Here in a pic for all those interested!
Lucky Bean Tree Img_0110

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 pm

The Lucky bean tree, Erythrina lysistemon, has nothing whatever to do with Schefflera. It is a member of the pea family. Your specimen has three compound leaves. Although it is said to be amenable to bonsai-like conditions, I hardly think you will get much of a bonsai out of it. It may make a nice house plant. Under the right conditions, it produces beautiful red flowers.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks Iris, I only meant that it was similar in that it had compound leaves, and its growth patterns. However i imagined that it would never be a true bonsai, but i look forward to experimenting with it.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Maybe i can get it to put out some flowers. Do you know when it would usually do so?

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:22 am

It likely will have to be several years older than this one, I'm afraid.

Good luck with it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi there, in my neck of the wood, the "lucky bean plant" I see, is called the Moreton Bay Chestnut, or Castanospermum australe.
I think you may have this species, but I could be wrong.

Never tried them as a bonsai, but I have had one as a novelty plant when it comes with the big green nut still attached.
Your tree seems more mature, so the nut itself is gone.

Check out Moreton Bay Chestnut just to see if this is what you may have.

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm

No, they are entirely different species. That is why scientific names are so important. I was once on a newsgroup where some European members kept talking about tracking elk. Now elk, Cervus canadensis or elaphus (not sure which is correct), is strictly a New World species, & we had quite a time with this. Finally it turned out they were talking about what we call moose, Alcis alcis, which is circumboreal.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Castanospermum australe is the species that i have. Thanks Jim i'm only 21 so i have many years to wait for it to do its thing Very Happy. Also i picked one specifically with no bean at the base, as i found it rather unattractive. I was also wondering if its alright to remove the bean should it develop one?

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi, the "bean" you saw at the bottom of the tree's, was a "one time" deal. That big "bean" sprouted, and the tree grew from it.
The nurseries sell it like that, for the novelty that the bean lasts so long after it has sprouted.
The bean will not regrow from the base, so no worries. I don't think in our part of the world, that it will ever flower or seed, but
nature will do as it wants, so you can always cross your fingers. You will most likely be bouncing grand children on your knee, before
it gets to an age it will flower and set the giant seed pods, which look like massive pea pods.
Happy growing!

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Hahaha ok, that best kind than. Thanks for all the help everyone.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down