Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does your Celtis fruit?

4 posters

Go down

Does your Celtis fruit? Empty Does your Celtis fruit?

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 am

I have one that I know has produced fruit while it was growing it the ground; however it has been been pruned to much this year too produce anything. If you have a more established Hackberry, have you seen it fruit?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Does your Celtis fruit? Empty Re: Does your Celtis fruit?

Post  lennard Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 pm

PeacefulAres wrote: If you have a more established Hackberry, have you seen it fruit?
I do grow Celtis africana, sinensis and I believe some hybrids between them. I have never seen one of them flowering and fruiting in a pot.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:51 pm

You know hackberries are dioecious, right?  Another factor may be overhead watering while they are blooming/setting fruit.  I was telling John Naka how I had gotten in trouble in Japan for not being careful while watering some blooming crabapples.  I was from Florida, what do I know about crabapples?  He told me that his olives never set fruit because he was always out of town when they bloomed.  Mrs. Naka was his waterer, and he wasn't going to say anything about it!

R

Last edited by Russell Coker on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Hmmm. Then they won't flower or fruit in a rainy year?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm talking about being blasted with a hose. And, yes, we tried to keep them out of the rain too at that point.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Russell Coker wrote:You know hackberries are dioecious, right?  Another factor may be overhead watering while they are blooming/setting fruit.  I was telling John Naka how I had gotten in trouble in Japan for not being careful while watering some blooming crabapples.  I was from Florida, what do I know about crabapples?  He told me that his olives never set fruit because he was always out of town when they bloomed.  Mrs. Naka was his waterer, and he wasn't going to say anything about it!

R
I didn't know that. What does rain/water have to do with them producing fruit?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Washing the pollen from the lady parts before the deed is done. Jim's comment was about seed set during rain. Can't really comment on that one way or the other. All I know is what I was told - be careful watering during flowering. I have no idea if it's a factor for hackberries or not. I'm told that it is a factor for crabapples, euonymus and olives.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:07 am

Russell Coker wrote:

Washing the pollen from the lady parts before the deed is done.  Jim's comment was about seed set during rain. Can't really comment on that one way or the other.  All I know is what I was told - be careful watering during flowering.  I have no idea if it's a factor for hackberries or not.  I'm told that it is a factor for crabapples, euonymus and olives.
That's interesting. I'm not sure it would be a problem with the hack berries though. We always get a ton of rain around the time they flower, so I can't imagine they're susceptible to having the pollen washed away.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down