Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected Yaupon hollies.....

5 posters

Go down

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Empty Collected Yaupon hollies.....

Post  Wee Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:28 am

Collected these last weekend....Using the search function here shows plenty to read up on.

Collected Yaupon hollies..... DSC05622

Collected Yaupon hollies..... DSC05625

Here is a pic in a training box.

Collected Yaupon hollies..... YH-dig-2-extra-brasing+001

Here is one drastically cut back....I will wait till spring to cut the rest back.

Collected Yaupon hollies..... YH-dig-2-cutback+022

Brian

Wee

Back to top Go down

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Empty Re: Collected Yaupon hollies.....

Post  Bob Pressler Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 pm

You'll have fun with them. They are incredibly tough plants and will take chopping back hard.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Empty Yaupon Holly

Post  kora Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:47 am

Great material: They are however very thirsty, and hungry trees

kora

Back to top Go down

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Empty Great!

Post  lennard Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Don't know the species but they all have a lot of potential - lucky you!

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 am

Great plants for Bonsai, and looks like a terrific haul! Nice trunks there. Did you clean the topsoil from the roots before planting in the boxes? If not, keep this in mind next time you transplant. I just take mine and wash the roots clean with a hose, then fill with an open Bonsai mix.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wee Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 am

No they were not bare rooted....I figured digging them up this time of year was shock enough. I do plan on doing that when I re-pot them.....I hope to do that early spring but I'm not sure if that will be too soon....? Here they are on maybe the ugliest thing I have ever built.....They get about 30 min. morning sun and about 1 hour of late afternoon sun here. It's going on 3 weeks since I collected these....How much longer should I leave them in the shade...?

Collected Yaupon hollies..... YH-dig-rolling-table+002

Here is a rolling table I built so I can take them in and out of the garage as needed this winter.

Collected Yaupon hollies..... YH-dig-rolling-table+003

Brian

Wee

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Brian,
Yaupons are sun-loving trees. So long as you can make sure they don't dry out, you can safely put them into more light. This time of year heat shouldn't be an issue. You're right to protect them over winter this year. New roots freeze easily. It probably would be best on the newly collected plants to leave them alone for a year, and remove all that soil in Spring 2015. This would give all the new roots a chance to harden off before being brutalized again. You'll just have to be a little more careful with watering. Topsoil dirt is unpredictable when growing Bonsai; seems it's either too soggy wet or unexpectedly dries into a brick (hence the need for open Bonsai mix). Good luck - you've got a great start with these!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wee Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Thank you for the advice....I just hope the plywood training boxes will last till 2015....They were free from the office and would have just went into the trash had I not taken them.

Brian

Wee

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 am

I know what you mean about wooden boxes quickly disappearing. It was always a pain when picking up a grow-box to find it crumble in my hands, or the bottom fall out. I use plastic for all my grow pots now - mostly restaurant bussing tubs and other wash tubs and cat boxes, drilled with plenty of holes. Whatever I can find for cheap (or sometimes free). They look garish, but the plants don't seem to mind.

JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wee Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 am

Update about 8 months after collecting.....

All but one made it thru a very cold winter....I got my share of exercise pushing these monsters in and out of the garage but it hit 5 deg here a couple on nights and I think the cold got the best of one of them....Enough of that here are a few pics as they stand now.

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Bonsai-5-14-14+010

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Bonsai-5-14-14+011

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Bonsai-5-14-14+012

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Bonsai-5-14-14+014

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Bonsai-5-14-14+015

Collected Yaupon hollies..... Bonsai-5-14-14+016

Brian

Wee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down