Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yaupon Holley

5 posters

Go down

Yaupon Holley Empty Yaupon Holley

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Yaupon Holley Yaupon10

Yaupon Holley Yaupon11
Comments and Styling Suggestions Please-Thanks John

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Yaupon Holley Empty Re: Yaupon Holley

Post  JimLewis Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Looks good, John. Maybe plant it a bit deeper in the pot next time, and tilt the tree a but more toward the viewer.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Yaupon Holley Empty yaupon holly

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 pm

JIM,, Thank you very much.. i like it also because it came from georgia where i am from ,, grown by the man who interduced me to bonsai.. if you see anything for inprovement let me know.. it will be lower in the pot but i could not take any more roots off..thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu May 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Also in a rectangular pot we observe the "rule of thirds" that is to place the plant to the right or left of center depending upon the first branch. Since the first branch should be to longest, the tree should be planted with that longer branch over the open space in the container.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Yaupon Holley Empty Yapon holly

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Billy,, Thank you for the advice.. like i said to jim the roots made it not being able to shift any more... the tree was sent in febuary so i had to get it in a pot !! if you have any suggestions please let me know..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri May 31, 2013 3:40 pm

John,

looks as though it should be allowed to just grow and become bushy for next year's work.
Very little or no clipping.
I have found that these trees work well with just clip and grow, but it will take time, and I work with a simple cycle.

I allow the shrub to grow until it stops throwing out new shoots. Then I cut back to about 1" / 1/2" [ 2.5 to 1.25 cm ] and repeat the growing process, allowing it to again throw out new shoots and then back to trim.

Your shrub has a very good trunk.

However, I would say, grow for one year and plan for next year.

I prefer the second image as the front.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  nickalpin Fri May 31, 2013 8:02 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Comments and Styling Suggestions Please-Thanks John

You can do quite a bit of chopping on illex, they respond quite well. A friend of mine and CFBC president, Adam, is a go-to for illex info. Here's a link to a tag search on his site, he's posted some walk-throughs: http://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/tag/yaupon-holly/

nickalpin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Don't even bother to use wire. These trees have a memory that would put the world's worst mother-in-law to shame. You could try to notch under the spot where the branches leave the trunk, then pull the branches down in hopes that the notch will heal with sufficient strength to keep the branch on a more downward trajectory, but it's better just to prune it so the branches grow a bit down over the years.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Yaupon Holley Empty Yaupon holly

Post  moyogijohn Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 pm

Khaimraj ,,,Nickalpin,, Jim,,, Thank you all very much for your comments.. Khaimraj that sounds like a good idea,let it grow this year .I pruned the inside so the limbs ect. could be seen...Nickalpin thanks for the link,boy that guy has a big one to work with !! Jim i found out about wireing don,t work at all.. the branches are stiff plus they are brittle also... maybe i should let it grow and trim next spring .. it had no leaves when it came so i guess it can take hard pruning.. thank you all take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down