Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle

+6
Stone Monkey
Jay Gaydosh
Rob Kempinski
fiona
Harleyrider
bonsai monkey
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Empty Re: Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle

Post  fiona Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:40 am

Aw sweetie! You're making us all cry! But that's not a good idea because it'd make it even wetter for you.
Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Crybab12

Funnily enough, despite us having had pretty heavy rain here over the past week or so too, we did have a decent summer - even when other areas not that far away were wet and miserable. As a result I am sitting looking at a garden still relatively well stocked with roses (we had roses from the garden on the table on Christmas Day the last two years). I've also had yet again to defer lifting and boxing up a larch group from the ground as the needles still have not dropped (sorry Harleyrider - you'll get it one day). I'm also regretting have spent the best part of two days bubblewrap insulating the glasshouse as we've so far only had one night of (a very light) frost and it isn't looking as if that'll change.

But the real question: my Shohin Forsythia is looking as if it wants to flower. Obviously I was hoping it'd do this round about late Feb in time for the BSA show. So, how do I slow down its progress? It is still outside btw and has not been in the glasshouse at all so its growth attempt is not because it has been sheltered.

btw Tony: don't take up water polo - it's bad for the horses!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

fiona wrote:Aw sweetie! You're making us all cry! btw Tony: don't take up water polo - it's bad for the horses!
Don't be silly Fiona... I will be training seahorses!

Still a very wet Tony (its still raining)

BTW just hit 400 posts... I am going to have a pool party... bring your cozzie.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 am

Tony wrote: BTW just hit 400 posts
Amateur! And even if you notched up another 400 this week, you still wouldn't have caught up with Kev.

Tony wrote: I am going to have a pool party... bring your cozzie.
So what happened to "The North of England, where even the water is HARD"? Cozzie? Pah! Wimps! I would expect nothing other than skinny dipping!

But what about my Forsythia then?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:35 am

Tony wrote:That's It...! I am moving from the wet cold North of England to the balmy shores of the South... Bl**dy Lonicera flowering in November...

a very wet and miserable Tony Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Kopfschuettel

Hi Tony,

I have been thinking about you since I waded around your garden the other week added to all the rain that you have had. I will remove the offending blooms later day. Would you like me to post them to you to cheer you up????

I don’t know why this tree has got so mixed up. It has been out in some of the rain but I have sheltered it in a brick outhouse so that the rotten wood didn’t get any worse before I applied the wood harder. My little Forsythia Accent is looking to do the same as your Shohin version Fiona. The only think I can think of is to leave it in the coldest place possible to try and send them back to sleep. I’m not too bothered about my one flowering early but I can see your predicament.

Would the fridge work or maybe the old cool box with an icepack put in from time to time?????? Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Suspect

Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Gæst Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 am

Just remove the flowers Simon, and wait for colder (and dryer) weather. Dont put it in the fridge or cover it with Ice cream or other things Very Happy
It will cope with normal winter (if it comes).

What about using sea wead as accents Tony? Shocked

Regards
Morten

Gæst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:03 pm

morten albek wrote:What about using sea weed as accents Tony?
I would have done but the sea slugs have eaten them Sad

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Admit it. You were too busy looking about for mermaids. Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Mermai10
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Empty Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle

Post  Guest Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:02 pm

The more I look at the first pic on this thread , the more convinced I an about taking the tall piece out of the middle. You have to do it or ill stamp my feet and hold my breath!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:40 am

will baddeley wrote:The more I look at the first pic on this thread , the more convinced I an about taking the tall piece out of the middle. You have to do it or ill stamp my feet and hold my breath!!

Hi Will,
You will be pleased to know that that was the first thing to go!!!
I'll post some more detailed pictures and explain what I have done when I get a minute,

Regards,
Simon

Tony
Wouldn't Sea Monkies be better a better choice for your water polo team?
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. I breathe again. Hurry up with the photos!

Back to top Go down

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Empty Flower photos

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,
Herewith the flower pics I promised

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Confus10

There were about 4 or 5 bunches that have since been removed.
I'll try and get a nice "headless" shot just for you Will Wink

Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:48 pm

I'll try and get a nice "headless" shot just for you Will Wink

Okk, Okk,
Simon[/quote
Im loosing the will to live here!.... Whats the expression..... s##t or get off the pot Sleep

Back to top Go down

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Empty Sorry It's Taken So Long!!

Post  bonsai monkey Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 am

I finally got the time, and the confidence, to finish the 1st styling on the tree I started at Burrs. I was pretty ruthless with the pruning as I wanted to try and get the foliage closer to the trunk. The tree had put on about 2” of growth since November, when Bob gave it a haircut, so I was quite happy to cut it back hard.

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Burrs_10

Not too much wiring mainly tension wires to move the thicker braches into place.
The tree actually looks better in the flesh as it was a bit gloomy this am when I took the pics. It has thrown out loads of new twigs, and some exactly where I need extra braches, so it was really thinned to let some light in. I’m really pleased with how it’s turning out.

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Burrs_11

Next job will be to work on the deadwood to try and help preserve it. I’ve been saving my fag ash to add to the lime sulphur to help darken it down!!! I was thinking of putting it into a drum pot next year and would be interested in anyone’s thoughts. Glazed or unglazed??

I hope that you like the progression and sorry it’s taken soooooooo long Will Embarassed
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Empty Sorry It's Taken So Long!!

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Way back in the dim and distant past, I remember replying to this post. Really like what you've done to the tree. Very dynamic! I like the way the interior has been opened up with the carving too. Worth the wait. Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Will,
Thanks for your comments, and patience, with me & my tree. Your input means alot Wink

I tend to get slowed up with working on my trees if I have a lack in confidence and that was the problem with this project. That said, I'm now back in the "Bonsai Zone" and hoping to produce better trees.

Love, Peace & Bananas,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:54 pm

UPDATE AUGUST 2011

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Lon_au10

Here we are in it's lovely Stone Monkey pot and coming on a treat!!

Ook, Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 pm

First time I've seen this thread and I've got to say, I love the direction this is going. It's also an amazing transformation since your last post last year. Great trunk!

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Very nice. Thanks for posting the update. Very Happy
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:40 am

UPDATE MARCH 2012

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 42738810

I don't like to blow my own trumpet but here's a picture that Fiona kindly took of me, my tree & Wee Jinky at Willowbog this year.
I hope that someone's gotta a good picture of the tree as I had a camera malfunction Sad

Regards,
Ook,Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Well done Simon. Great little tree. You must feel very chuffed.
Of course, this is now just the beguining. lol! ThumbsUp

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Simon

Here are the two photos I have of your tree mate, without the monkey's Wink Bloody well done on your award mate, well deserved.

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Dsc02117

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Dsc02118

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I was going to explain Wee Jinky but I have decided against it in case it confirms doubts about my sanity. Very Happy

Here are the pics I took. Looking back over this thread it becomes clear just how brilliant the transformation of this tree is. HUGE well done - a Merit well merited indeed.

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Img_2710

Chuhin Dwarf Honeysuckle - Page 2 Img_2711

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 am

Peter E
Thanks for your kind comments & yeah, like a dog with 2 bones

Andy
Thanks for posting these mate, miles better than mine. I think your pot tip the balance mate, very few better tree/pot combos at the Show IMHO.

Fiona
I often refer to mu progress shots when I'm giving the tree a haircut (usually 4 times a year as it grows like the clappers) and even I can't beleive the rapid progress its made. There are still a few areas of improvement require but I hope that in another couple of years to have a very special tree,

Ook, Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  CityofTrees Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:32 pm

Wonderful little tree you have here, it's inspiring for a beginner to see the transformation and progression from raw material to the tree beginning to take shape. Thanks very much for posting the photos and info, any update?

-Garrett

CityofTrees

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2