Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin Shimpaku

3 posters

Go down

Shohin Shimpaku Empty Shohin Shimpaku

Post  Orion Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:20 am

A couple of hours today thinning out a shohin shimpaku; I traded a friend for this raw material for a crabapple.

I let this grow untouched, except for tip trimming, for a couple of seasons as I like to make sure they are healthy.

Shohin Shimpaku Dscn1913

Shohin Shimpaku Dscn1914

It gets very overgrown and dense, but the branches ramified fairly well.

Shohin Shimpaku Dscn1915

No wire applied yet, so it's still rather raw but I think promising.

Shohin Shimpaku Dscn0812

Shohin Shimpaku Dscn0813

As always, any thoughts or criticisms are welcome.

Cheers,

John
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Shohin Shimpaku Empty Re: Shohin Shimpaku

Post  arihato Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:14 am

Lots of potential, the big root needs seeing to, though. Curious what you will do with it
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:39 am

arihato wrote:Lots of potential, the big root needs seeing to, though. Curious what you will do with it
You know I'm not really sure yet.

Once I get it out of the pot, I'll see whether or not I can remove it. If it stays, then possibly I could reorient it closer to the trunk in a way that it would not be as noticeable. If I can remove it completely then it would work into the shari.

Any ideas come to mind??
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:25 am

Well, Junis usually don't have great Nebari, so I think the best way to start is looking for the best trunk line and a good first branch. The rest should follow from there, there are enough twigs to form the canopy.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Lots of potential there. I like the movement in the trunk. Personally I would either remove the exposed root, or if that is not possible, essentially plant the juniper deeper, to put it under ground and encourage the juniper to air lay right at or just above that point. A third option would be to use grafting tape and lay this root tight against the trunk, it will eventually stay put and add the illusion of taper. I doubt it would fuse the way some deciduous would, but once firm against the trunk it will visually add taper.

Regardless what you do, it is quite a nice little tree.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Leo Schordje wrote:Lots of potential there. I like the movement in the trunk. Personally I would either remove the exposed root, or if that is not possible, essentially plant the juniper deeper, to put it under ground and encourage the juniper to air lay right at or just above that point.  A third option would be to use grafting tape and lay this root tight against the trunk, it will eventually stay put and add the illusion of taper. I doubt it would fuse the way some deciduous would, but once firm against the trunk it will visually add taper.

Regardless what you do, it is quite a nice little tree.
Thanks Leo,

I'd hate to plant it deeper since we would loose the movement of the trunk; either removing or working it closer to the trunk seem the best options. I can't see a third way just yet, but who knows?
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down