Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”?

3 posters

Go down

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? Empty How do you define “Bonsai Potential”?

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 am

I know that this thread probably relates to the 2 that Bobby & Tony have started but I was wondering how you identify Bonsai Potential. The reason I ask is that at a visit to my Bonsai Haven I was told by Tartan & Stone Monkies that I had trees with potential but that’s about as far as we really got discussing the subject as I was too busy doing a very bad impression of Jamie Oliver!!!!

I think I’ve identified the culprits, and will post some pics ASAP, but could someone enlighten me as to why they have potential so that I can look at the rest of my pre-bonsai with a more critical eye. After all, some trees that I think are on their way could well be duds!!!!
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? Empty Re: How do you define “Bonsai Potential”?

Post  Guest Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Simon, It is true that ALMOST any raw material can be made into something resembling a small tree... given enough time, patience, technique etc.

As a rule of thumb good raw material should have some or all of the following.

Good health
Taper
Appearance of age
Low branches
Movement in the Trunk
Nebari
Less that 1 metre (if it is to be in my garden)
Small root ball
Leaves that are in scale to the size of the envisioned bonsai

When I see you in a month or so we will take a walk amongst my raw material, all have potential Suspect some more so.

Back to top Go down

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? Empty Re: How do you define “Bonsai Potential”?

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanx for your kind offer Tony.
I'll still look to post some pictures tomorrow so that I might get some more feedback on some of my trees & see if what I think is correct. There is a first time for everything affraid

Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 am

Tony has given you a good outline to keep in mind.
Here's a link to an article by Brent Walston on evaluating nursery material which also gives you some features to consider...
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/nurserys.htm
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 am

Some pictures as mentioned

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? F_mapl10
Squat Field Maple

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? B_thor10
Blackthorn

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? F_mapl11
Informal Field Maple

How do you define “Bonsai Potential”? Triden10
Trident Maple

Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 pm

The first contraire bonsai potential award goes to............ the Trident Maple, would you please step back.

ciao, Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down