Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scots Pine Restyling

+5
Rick36
AlainK
Marty Weiser
fiona
Twisted Trees
9 posters

Go down

Scots Pine Restyling Empty Scots Pine Restyling

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 pm

My Bonsai teacher, William Valavanis askind me to wire and style one of his Scot's pines under his supervision.   The early development of this tree can be found in Bill's recently published book, "Classical Bonsai Art - A Half Century of Bonsai Study."
This is the before.
Scots Pine Restyling New_pi10

This is after the bottom had been wired.  The tree was very open in the front.  The bottom right branch was removed and branching and foliage was moved around and forward.

Scots Pine Restyling New_pi11

I then photoshopped the top.  I liked the third, taller version.  Bill liked the shorter first version.

Scots Pine Restyling New_pi12    Scots Pine Restyling New_pi13 Scots Pine Restyling New_pi14

Here is the final result.  The height has not been changed.  The appearance is closest to the first Photoshopped version.  This is because the foliage could not be brought in any more.  The foliage pads were also very bushy and a lot of thinning happened though it is hard to tell from the final photo.

Scots Pine Restyling New_pi15

Last edited by JimLewis on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : de-apostrophizing <g>)
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Scots Pine Restyling Empty Re: Scots Pine Restyling

Post  fiona Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 pm

As a Scot, I love your Scots Pine. It's a very nice Scots Pine.  You have done a great job with this Scots Pine so far.  I, too, prefer the third photoshop image of this excellent Scots Pine.  Very Happy Cool
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:10 pm

Interesting comparison of which image Bill and Fiona each liked. I presume the shorter image that Bill liked is closer to the Classical Japanese bonsai pine while the taller image that Fiona liked is closer to how Scot's pines grow in nature. Nothing wrong with either image or preference, but an interesting comparison from my perspective.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Marty Weiser wrote:Interesting comparison of which image Bill and Fiona each liked. I presume the shorter image that Bill liked is closer to the Classical Japanese bonsai pine while the taller image that Fiona liked is closer to how Scot's pines grow in nature. Nothing wrong with either image or preference, but an interesting comparison from my perspective.
Bill is a very classical bonsai fancier. I preferred the taller version because it matched the trunk thinner better, imho.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm

It's probably more like how Scots Pines grow in nature.  Evil or Very Mad
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:16 am

Very tame now.

I mean, it's beautifully done, but looks a bit like a Japanese-nursery-like juniper though: do you plan to have empty spaces between the branches to give it some sort of perspective?

It's got a very impressive root base, and to me, the top part is too conventional.

(OMG, how gifted I am to make enemies! Rolling Eyes )
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick36 Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

Who is this chap "Scot", anyway?

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Rick36 wrote:Who is this chap "Scot", anyway?

Thank you. Users of the Internet are solely responsible for the death and decline of the apostrophe as a useful punctuation mark.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Sadly not its death so much as its inappropriate use.  My sarcasm was obviously wasted in my earlier posts. Where's Iris when you need the blunt, tell-it-as-it-is approach?   Lots of smileys to indicate that I am leg-pulling.  In part, anyway.  Very Happy Laughing Mad Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:50 pm

"Great Scottt"   that is stunning....... was that appropriate?  Rolling Eyes 

and again  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing   to show the obvious.....

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Probably setting myself up here, but I like the second image. The initial pruning and shaping before the photoshopping seems to me to accentuate all the good traits of the tree, without looking too worked.
Crazy talk?

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 pm

I personally like the last image in the sequence (i.e. the one of the tree as it is now rather than the last photoshop image) as to me it is very natural and ties in with Judy's comment about not looking too worked.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:47 pm

I think the "final" version is fine, though if it were mine, it wouldn't be quite so rigidly triangular.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:24 pm

fiona wrote:It's probably more like how Scots Pines grow in nature.  Evil or Very Mad
Actually, as I've thought about it the unwired version is how Scot's pine grow around here. They are very tall and the branches are leggy.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:27 pm

AlainK wrote:Very tame now.

I mean, it's beautifully done, but looks a bit like a Japanese-nursery-like juniper though: do you plan to have empty spaces between the branches to give it some sort of perspective?

It's got a very impressive root base, and to me, the top part is too conventional.

(OMG, how gifted I am to make enemies! Rolling Eyes )
I hate you now. The tree is done for now. We will see what Bill has in mind for the future.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

fiona wrote:Sadly not its death so much as its inappropriate use.  My sarcasm was obviously wasted in my earlier posts. Where's Iris when you need the blunt, tell-it-as-it-is approach?   Lots of smileys to indicate that I am leg-pulling.  In part, anyway.  Very Happy Laughing Mad Wink
You made a joke?scratch 
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Merely trying to point out, as were several others, that the tree is called Scots Pine and not Scot's Pine.  Wink   But I still think it is a good job you have done with your Scots Pine.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:51 pm

Good to see everyone is focused on the important thing's that will help all of us do a better job growing and styling our Scott's pine's.

FWIW, I like the third photoshopped image best, but the last image (actual tree) is pretty close behind. Looking forward to seeing the tree next time I'm at Bills place.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:05 pm

fiona wrote:Merely trying to point out, as were several others, that the tree is called Scots Pine and not Scot's Pine.  Wink   But I still think it is a good job you have done with your Scots Pine.
So it's Bill's Scots Pine?
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick36 Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 am

Exactly so. Or if you wanted to be more formal, it would be "Bill Valavanis' Scots Pine" or even "Bill Vala:oops: vanis's Scots Pine". (But nobody likes a smarta...   -   or is that smarta..   ?).

Last edited by Rick36 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistake!!https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_redface.gif)

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm

But back to the tree; what do you see as the next step(s) in its development, Twisted Trees, or are you happy with this as the final image?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:06 pm

fiona wrote:But back to the tree; what do you see as the next step(s) in its development, Twisted Trees, or are you happy with this as the final image?
We did a few tricks to bring the foliage in and hide the long leggy branches. The next few years will be needed to bring the foliage in closer to match the trunk. Also the back, not pictured, needs some more cleaning up but again that will require a few more years to allow for more growth.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down