Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leland Cypress Literati

3 posters

Go down

Leland Cypress Literati Empty Leland Cypress Literati

Post  jake4bonsai Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:13 am

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has exsperiance with leland cypress? I created a drop down literati style from a leland last year and all this season I've been pinching it back trying to get the pad to fill in and it just will not backbud! It gets a lot of full sun plenty of food and water and I keep pinching and the growth just keeps coming from the tips. Everytime I pinch it I pinch it back further and further and if I pinch back much further it won't have any green growth to bud from anymore! Is there any help out there? Thank you in advance!
jake4bonsai
jake4bonsai

Back to top Go down

Leland Cypress Literati Empty Re: Leland Cypress Literati

Post  JimLewis Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Moving to questions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:12 pm

i dont think leylandii does back bud with any reliability - it is like hinoki really - you need to start a bonsai with all the inner growth you need for ever and then stop it dropping off by keeping the outer growth pruned well - periodically the branch is cut back to a section of new inner growth to make this the strong area - i know that the uk had 1000's of leyland hedges in the 1980's and if they were cut back to far they never recover new green bits.

you may be better putting efforts into proven cypress species so at least you get a bonsai in return for all the work as it is only a small percentage of the total tree varieties that make viable bonsai

cheers
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down