Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle

+6
evanB
ogie
Andre Beaurain
Khaimraj Seepersad
marcus watts
appalachianOwl
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle - Page 2 Empty Re: ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle

Post  Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Bobbylane

I am happy you enjoy the progression of the tree...I do too, I like the challenge...one thing is to find a goal, and the next thing is to carry it out...it is online progression, not a look back on a project I allready knew succeded...

I used a burner to smoothen the wood, and to remove toolsmarks, if it hardens the wood, do I not know of this, and it is something new to me...have not yet treated the wood, as I want it to decae into something older I like before treating it with woodhardener.
The tree happily throw out callus now, but I dont know if it will stop doing so, if the wood is treated, and just grow thicker insteadt...My Juniper does that, but this is a another specie, with other growinghabits.

Maybe someone can give the information Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle - Page 2 Empty Re: ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle

Post  BobbyLane Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks Yvonne, well your tree seems to be healing over quite well, this gives me more optimism for my freshly carved Chinese elm, ive just carved and burnt the wood and ordered some natural deadwood preserver. but, after reading this, i wont use the preserver just yet, ill let the tree weather naturally, but will keep it out of the flow of rain on my balcony for now. actually, ive ordered this natural wood preserver from kaizen and he recommends to use the product on seasoned deadwood in the spring and summer months when the wood is completely dry. so ill wait Wink

Hi again, i was wrong, the burning doesnt so much harden the wood but oxidises, gives it the weathered look and helps to remove tool marks as you already know.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:01 pm

I think the wood will sooner look old, and still have "healthy" deadwood just underneath the surface, if you water it on regular basis....and there by will the wood sooner be ready for treating with woodpreserver.

Just like a beef...cook it hard, and it will very fast have a finished surface, and be completely raw inside....cook it slowly, and the beef will cook/ brake dawn all the way through.

From suiseki I learned water is the most important ingredience for ageing the surface of the stone...mutch more important than sun....a winter with a lot of rain, and no frost age more than a summer with full sun...it is the same with wood.

I learned this is what the first samurais found out...regular watering aged the stone...could it be this is why suiseki ( waterstone) became the name in the first place?...and later did the philosophi taker ower...not unlikely, as many names comes from the doing in the first place.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Yvonne thanks,
So basically, dont be afraid to let the newly carved wood get wet? My trees are on my balcony, but i took this particular tree out of the flow of rain, for fear of the water rotting the wood, the wood on Chinese elm isnt as tough as other deciduous trees, ive seen some carved Chinese elm online, but not many. Ill take your word for it though as your tree has healed up well Wink
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:40 am

Yvonne, I recently attended a bonsai display, and thought of you and your tree when I saw the following:
ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle - Page 2 <a href=ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle - Page 2 P1150221" />
I understand the stance that a conifer looks rough-hewn and desirable with deadwood while a deciduous tree is considered to be diseased, dying. This tree might challenge that a little bit. I think your concern of health for your tree in the long haul is valid, however, and I personally would tend to that first.

Regards, David
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:11 am

Hi David

Yes Health comes first....no Health, no tree to work on, simple Smile

It is a interesting tree you show us ... with a lot of movement to it...looks nice.
In the big picture I see a connifer of some kind with the branching and deadwood...getting close, it is a broadleaf, and I....
A lot of deadwood may not really belong on a broadleaf, and the way the branches grow up, makes a diffrence.
If I end up keeping  a ten-jin and only 3 branches on my tree, will the crown owergrow it with time...

I am planning to add a little carving to the deadwood during winter, ( make it more interestin), but the deadwood may end up, as something you will have to look for in the tree, no matter witch model I use...3 or 5 branches.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:42 pm

A year has gone....the tree is doing well, the backside has become quit pretty and treelike, now the branches is growing more into becomming a apex...it will take a Little longer in the front, but the right side is getting there, the left side is slower
ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle - Page 2 Img_8615
Now, just pruned...the tree need to have some green in the front, I may know what to do...but ideas are welcome

ulmus parvifolia trained as a juniper...restyle - Page 2 Img_6310
A year ago Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2