Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quince Purchase, worth the chance?

+7
JimLewis
Todd Ellis
William N. Valavanis
leatherback
prestontolbert
bonsaisr
Cullen Wegman
11 posters

Go down

Quince Purchase, worth the chance? - Page 2 Empty Re: Quince Purchase, worth the chance?

Post  NickJ Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm only a newbie to all this but I'd say go for it!  I got an Azalea stupidly cheap a few weeks ago because it looked half dead, got it home and watered it and its now literally covered in fresh leaves, flowering heavily and looks great!

NickJ

Back to top Go down

Quince Purchase, worth the chance? - Page 2 Empty Re: Quince Purchase, worth the chance?

Post  my nellie Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:52 am

coh wrote:I was just searching for old threads on flowering quince and came across this...think I wound up purchasing the plant being discussed!... ...
I was just doing the same Very Happy  
The reason is I have bought a Chaenomeles yesterday and I need info about it since I have no experience with this species. It is a nursery plant into a 8-9lt pot but I don't know the exact variety, however it has bright coral red flowers and one or two of them have one of their petals a cream/beige colour.
I need to repot it into a training pot and I wonder if I can do it right away (spring time coming in my country - 9a zone). Well, these are my questions :
- Does it matter that the plant is in full bloom? No leaves emerging yet.
- How much root work shall I do safely?
- From my readings I would say that it can take hard pruning, am I correct?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am

I have pulled shoots from a municiple lawm late last spring, last year: in the past there used to be hedging of quince. The roots were not removed completely, so every year they sprout, are trimmed with every lawm mower cycle etc.

Only got a few cm of "root", about 2cm thick, no side roots. Chucked them in the ground. Left them between some plants. They are now popping flowerbuds all over.

In short: I think they can handle A LOT of abuse
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for your response, Leatherback.
However the timing query remains...
Let's hope someone experienced will chime in Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down