Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket 6years ago

3 posters

Go down

XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket  6years ago Empty XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket 6years ago

Post  J.Enecio Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Right now my focus is on my very large twin trunk ficus yamadori.  Earlier today i removed 2 arial roots that started at the apex then halfway down the trunk it fused or grafted itself onto the trunk...  Each one of these arial roots were almost the size of the actual trunk, making my main trunk super fat but unfortunately also caused a horrible reverse taper.  Since my original trunk was very much large enough on its own, off went the arial roots.  Since these two arial roots were fused to half my trunk, its removal forsed me to do some simple carving from the middle of the trunk all the way to the nebari in attempt to make the large scar look a bit more natural...  Im quite happy with the result and look of the main trunk, MY QUESTION is, since this Ficus has been in a large bucket for the past 6 years and since im located in the philippines where the growing season is all year.  This yamadori is badly in need of a re-potting.  Is it advisable to re-pot right this kind of major work to the main trunkmain tr???  On one hand it is a ficus ( you trash it and it'll probably root in your trash can before your trash is picked up) but on the other hand i did basically just shari half my trunk and into the nebari...  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Ill try to get picture of step by step developent of this monster.  THANKS
J.Enecio
J.Enecio

Back to top Go down

XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket  6years ago Empty Re: XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket 6years ago

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:32 am

A picture is worth a thousand words.  I would say to chop it back below the reverse taper, but perhaps I would change my mind with a photo.

To answer your question I am pretty sure you could repot now without any worries as long as it is healthy, and maybe more the reason to do so if it is not.

Peace,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket  6years ago Empty Re: XL Ficus philippinensis twin trunk yamadori, 1st re-pot after being collected and put in a large tub/bucket 6years ago

Post  leatherback Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:42 am

Hm.. Not in the tropics myself.. but having gone through an ordeal with a retusa stump myself, which pretty much diend on me. A repot & placing in full sun & heat.. and within days this plant started to sprout and is now doubling the foliages on a weekly basis, with 30+cm growth in 3 weeks time.. I'd probably give the plant a nice good feed. Leave it alone for a week or so. If you see the plant is growing / chucking out new foliage, repot and treat as you normally would after a repot. But again: I am not in the tropics, but have lived in the tropics enough to see how agressive the growth on particularly ficus can be.

My main worry would be getting rot in the trunk. In your experience, is ficus fairly rot-resistent?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down