Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blueberry?

3 posters

Go down

Blueberry? Empty Blueberry?

Post  JADunnagan Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Found this somewhat scruffy little blueberry in the 50% off area of a local nursery:

SDC10957.JPGblueberry2013.JPG

It has really nice looking foliage and bark.  I've removed the fruit and trimmed it back some since the picture.  Probably going to wire the smaller trunk into a better shape for a double trunk and then eventually end up putting it in the ground for a while.
Anyone have any experience with blueberries?  (This is a "Vaccinium 'Top Hat'").  I think it could turn into a pretty nice looking little tree, and the price can't be beat.

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Blueberry? Empty Re: Blueberry?

Post  JADunnagan Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Let's try this:
Blueberry? Bluebe16

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Blueberries are fun:

Blueberry? 6-1310

And, eventually, tasty. This one has a ways to go, but we're already eating its relatives from the garden.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JADunnagan Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Lovely! How long have you been training it?

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Well, let's see. My mower ran over this plant out in my garden about 4 years ago. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JADunnagan Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 pm

An auspicious start!

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 am

I have experience with growing the wild species - High Bush Blueberry, Vaccinium corymbosum. I find them very tolerant of weather extremes in my area and they make beautiful bonsai. Fall color is spectacular!

Here's my bonsai:
Blueberry? 100_1513

and a little history:
I collected this Exposed-root Blueberry in a swamp/tributary off of the Rappahannock River in King George County, Virginia. It spent 3-4 years in a nursery pot, then about 7-8 years in the ground. I then re-collected it out of the "overgrown" landscape and have grown it in bonsai culture since 2007 (?). It was heavily damaged during a hail storm in 2008, and then had some borer damage two years ago. The small trunk and branches on the large trunk were grown by me. It flowered heavily this year and was full of berries; which I trimmed off to redirect energy into developing foliage. The tree stands approx. 20 inches tall from the top of the soil.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JADunnagan Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for posting, that is a lovely tree. Interesting history too.

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down