Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working with boxwood

3 posters

Go down

Working with boxwood Empty Working with boxwood

Post  EpicusMaximus Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I am interested in working on boxwood and was wondering if there were some species that were better than others for bonsai.

Most boxwoods I have seen in the nurseries multi stemmed/trunked.

If I do find one, hard hard can it be pruned?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Working with boxwood Empty Re: Working with boxwood

Post  Russell Coker Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

There is a lot of boxwood info here on the forum, only a search button away. What species are you seeing? sempervirens? microphylla? I work with them a lot, as does Joey McCoy. We've found that what I can do here on the steamy Alabama coast is NOT what he can do in the more arid Texas hill country even though we're both working with microphylla. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable offering someone in Quebec boxwood advice except in very general terms. Down here, boxwoods are everywhere in landscapes. Don't know if it's the same for you... but I'd be looking in yards rather than nursery pots. The best technical advice you'll get is from someone living close to you (as opposed to me) and who knows which species you're asking about.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Yep - what Russell said! Smile Buxus is a fantastic species to work with, but make it easier on yourself and work with what does well in your area. They're slow growing (and slower in your area I would imagine!), so a pre-Bonsai or collected landscape specimen would be the way to go. Don't waste your time on thin, multi-stemmed stuff from a nursery. Mostly, find someone local to advise you. There's bound to be a Bonsai club someplace nearby.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down