Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression

4 posters

Go down

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Empty Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression

Post  lennard Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:33 pm

I bought this tree at an auction that was held for the benefit of cancer research at a regional meeting for $90.

Before the tree was auctioned they held a raffle and I had, as I can remember, 5 winning tickets. I bought 10 for $1 each and there were a few hundred sold - I was very lucky! I won a weekend at a game lodge, a Baobab tree, garden tools, a garden saw and a bonsai pot.

And my little Celtis won the first prize in the Mame class!

Because I felt grateful I bid on the tree.

The bark has a lovely white color and is interestingly textured. There are not much examples of this tree as bonsai but I believe it will make a nice one. The biggest problem of the tree is probably the base.

Info on the species here: http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/heteropnatal.htm

This is the tree as I bought it in 2010:
Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Aug_2011

and

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Aug_2012

and a close up of the base:

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Textur10

From 2010 I repotted the tree into a bigger container and by doing that I got some new growth that can be used as branches where needed. I also carved away the nebari to make it a little bit less bulgy.

This morning I cut back the branches a bit and repositioned the second lowest branch on the right. I don't want to do drastic work now but the nebari need some more carving to reduce the impact of it.

I am planning to style the branches in a naturalistic way.

The tree today before the cut back and wiring:

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Before10

After:

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression After_10

The carved area showing the area to the front that need to be carved a little bit more:

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Nebari10

Any advice or comments will be welcomed.

Lennard

lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Empty Re: Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

Lennard,

my only suggestion would be to bring the branches into better proportion with the trunk.

Are the leaves always burnt or damaged or is it the time of year?
Thanks for showing, looks like a bright future.
Khaimraj

* Does it really need to be wired ?
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Empty Reply

Post  lennard Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Lennard,

my only suggestion would be to bring the branches into better proportion with the trunk.

Are the leaves always burnt or damaged or is it the time of year?

* Does it really need to be wired ?

Thanks for the reply.

I will let the twigs, closest to the trunk, on the branches grow freely for the next growing season to thicken up the branches.

The tree needs a lot of water to grow healthy and because we had a few scorching days this summer the tree got dry and wilted. The scorched leaves are a result of this. Because I want to thicken up the branches I am going to place the tree on the ground so the roots can escape through the holes of the pot- this will also prevent the tree from drying out again.(Will figure out a way to keep the earthworms at bay!)

One will always have to wire some branches and twigs, even if the branches are styled in the naturalistic branch structure. The main reason why I wired the branch to the right is to make place for the new lowest right hand branch coming slightly to the front.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Empty Re: Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Hey Lennard,

Here is my little Hetti. Had her in this pot since day one. A bit overgrown now as I'm trying to bulk up the branches a bit, and letting it flower out of interest.

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Hetti10

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Lavender Tree (Heteropyxis natalensis) - Progression Empty Andrews tree

Post  lennard Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:

Here is my little Hetti. Had her in this pot since day one. A bit overgrown now as I'm trying to bulk up the branches a bit, and letting it flower out of interest.

Looking very healthy Andrew - looking at the moss it seems you keep it well watered?

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Plantfever Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 pm

I really like it. I want a tree like that.

Plantfever

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm

lennard wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:

Looking very healthy Andrew - looking at the moss it seems you keep it well watered?

Lennard

Hey Lennard - thanks. Yip, it gets about 30 minutes a day in the morning under microjets and morning and midday sun. Afternoon shade.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down