Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88)

5 posters

Go down

Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Poink88 Sun May 20, 2012 2:38 am

I decided to do a few of these tree progression of some of my trees.

This tree was collected during a joint dig with Joey. I made the first choice and gave Joey the 2nd choice....he chose this but gave it to me for the "challenge" and being an interesting project.

As collected - February 26, 2012
Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88) P1110824-1

As of May 19, 2012 (3 months after)
Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88) P1120390

New front.
Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88) P1120387
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Re: Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  JMcCoy Sat May 26, 2012 1:14 am

Good work in opening it up. Now it just needs to grow grow grow and put out a lot of sub-branches to begin the design process. I probably wouldn't have put those branch benders on so soon, at this point, it's hard to know if that branch should be bent down or up to compliment the plant. It's an easier thing to just grow it out now, and then edit back to some lines later, maybe a year or so.

In the future with this, I can see it with an open but full crown in an informal broom, deciduous shape. Dang.. maybe I should have kept it! Twisted Evil
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Re: Buxus/Boxwood #3 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Poink88 Sat May 26, 2012 2:00 am

JMcCoy wrote:Dang.. maybe I should have kept it! Twisted Evil
I think you should have, but too late...I am not letting go now. Evil or Very Mad Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sat May 26, 2012 3:52 am

I've seen 100s of old majestic Oaks here in Raleigh that look like that. We don't have too many of the low and wide look that the Deep South is known for, but this Boxwood could easily represent the ones we do have. Damn Joey, if you passed on this, I'd like to see what you did keep Smile You two have found some beautiful trees. I'm extra jealous.

Not having worked with this species at all, I agree with Joey. But on the flipside, why waste time, right Dario?

Beautiful tree.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat May 26, 2012 4:44 am

Sam Ogranaja wrote:I've seen 100s of old majestic Oaks here in Raleigh that look like that. We don't have too many of the low and wide look that the Deep South is known for, but this Boxwood could easily represent the ones we do have. Damn Joey, if you passed on this, I'd like to see what you did keep Smile You two have found some beautiful trees. I'm extra jealous.

Not having worked with this species at all, I agree with Joey. But on the flipside, why waste time, right Dario?

Beautiful tree.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Sam,

Oh, he kept a few beauties I won't mind trading this with. Wink

LOL on the "why waste time" comment...you are starting to know me Sam! lol! I have a design idea so I am going for it and doing the hard bends now....especially since these supposedly take long time to set.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Sat May 26, 2012 5:13 am

LOL on the "why waste time" comment...you are starting to know me Sam! I have a design idea so I am going for it and doing the hard bends now....especially since these supposedly take long time to set.

That's too funny.. the most common comment I got at our club show last weekend (after "how old is it?" eh..) was "You all must have a huge amount of patience to do this." My answer was NO.. we absolutely don't have more patience than anyone else. We're all looking for ways to speed this up, me too! Very Happy
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat May 26, 2012 7:53 am

JMcCoy wrote: ... ... In the future with this, I can see it with an open but full crown in an informal broom, deciduous shape... ...
I can see this, too. And it is a very pleasing image!

May I ask my question...?
What is your experience regarding old wood buckbudding for buxus?
Will it or it will not?
Does it need a specific "treatment" in order to do so?
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat May 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Alexandra, we discussed that very question here...

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9899-collected-some-monsters-buxus-this-spring

We seem to have different results!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Sat May 26, 2012 4:39 pm

We seem to have different results!

This is true.
Your best bet is to be cautious in pruning and watch them closely in your area (I can't speak about Greece) to see how they behave. The B. microphylla won't backbud on old wood in my area and have to be dealt with in another way:
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9720-boxwood-threadgrafting-branches?highlight=threadgraft+boxwood

Of course you may also have B. sempervirens there instead, so that could be a whole different story. Learning all the quirks about your local plants is part of the fun/challenge!

JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat May 26, 2012 6:24 pm

I have some back budding on mine but very erratic and unpredictable. Some branches that were leafless after pruning had none and I ended removing it.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun May 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Russell Coker wrote:Alexandra, we discussed that very question here... ... We seem to have different results!
Thank you very much Russel! Very interesting discussion and yes, different results on the same species....

JMcCoy wrote: ... ... (I can't speak about Greece) ... ...
Well, listen to this weird thing about three boxwoods (microphylla) nursery stock growing at my balcony and treated the same way. These are three interesting trees with natural deadwood on them with which I intend to make a group planting. I have pruned a lot all the three of them earlier in March, have cut small part of the rootball with caution, combed very carefully around the rootball and have repotted them into pond baskets using a free draining substrate mixture. I feed them organic slow release as well as organic/micro nutrients fertilizer made of kelp every 10 days.
Two of them have bud back on old wood but the third is stubbornly denying to do so!
Does anyone of you believe that it will shortly do so?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down