Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly Built Bench

+5
rickyricardo
Todd Ellis
giga
Bonsai Kas
daudelus
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newly Built Bench Empty Newly Built Bench

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I (with the help of a very handy wife) recently set about building a bench for my bonsai... I'm very proud of it and thought I'd share it with
others... I think, in the end, it turned out better than I expected. I made some modifications to the design as I went along, sacrificing speed for aesthetic value and sturdiness. For a cost, I haven't calculated exactly, but I'm estimating around US$300 for the wood, US$100 for hardware, and the labor was free, except for sore muscles.

The area essentially cleared...
Newly Built Bench Bench_13

Beginning work on the top tier...
Newly Built Bench Bench_14

Top tier complete and ready to be moved to the site...
Newly Built Bench Bench_15

End of day one. One of the modifications I made was to make the slats run front to back rather than along the length... this was a time intensive part and was the majority of the labor used to build the bench...
Newly Built Bench Bench_16
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Newly Built Bench Empty Re: Newly Built Bench

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Second tier in place...
Newly Built Bench Bench_17

End of day two... second tier complete and third tier in place ready for the slats...
Newly Built Bench Bench_18

A more distant image to give you a better reference to size... It is 12 feet across, 5 ft high and roughly 6 ft in depth...
Newly Built Bench Bench_19

And the completed bench in place...
Newly Built Bench Bench_20

I chose, at this point, to not stain or paint... It's pressure treated wood, and I think I'll let it weather naturally... Thanks for looking!
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai Kas Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Looks really nice!
I wish my girlfriend was a help like yours :p
Bonsai Kas
Bonsai Kas

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Bonsai Kas wrote:Looks really nice!
I wish my girlfriend was a help like yours :p

Thanks! Yeah, she is amazing... I'm very lucky!
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Very nice! I'm just finishing my benches up as well. You should put some sort of landscape fabric where you cleared the sod and then put a smooth type of stone down. I plan on doing that to give it that final bling Very Happy Also did youe set the 4x4 in the ground with concreate or just in the dirt?
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

giga wrote:Very nice! I'm just finishing my benches up as well. You should put some sort of landscape fabric where you cleared the sod and then put a smooth type of stone down. I plan on doing that to give it that final bling Very Happy Also did youe set the 4x4 in the ground with concreate or just in the dirt?

Good point! I haven't decided what to put under the bench... smaller pebble (river rock), larger stones or simply mulch it (which would be cheapest). The 4x4s are not cemented in... the bench is very wide at 12 ft and very, very heavy. I have no worry of it tipping or even rocking in place. I braced the back with 45 degree mitred pieces to add stability.
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

without setting them in concreate you might get some settling over time and make the bench uneven-that what I was reffering too, but then again maybe I'm just over thinking things lol. A grey smooth river rock looks really nice. I'm not much of a multch person myself.
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 pm

giga wrote:without setting them in concreate you might get some settling over time

The optical illusion is that it is already off-level... as my back yard slopes. I decided to keep it level with the building it is up against. The settling is a concern to keep in mind, lessened by the heavy clay (and stone) it resides on...
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I see one issue with the bench.................Where are the bonsai's? Smile
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

giga wrote:I see one issue with the bench.................Where are the bonsai's? Smile

One of the reason's to build the bench was to motivate me to begin placing some in proper pots, which was difficult to rationalize when they have been sitting in tupperware containers (and the like) for years on the ground (not a great thing for the trees to begin with and I think they have suffered as a result). I will post what it looks like with some trees in training soon Smile
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm

With some trees in training....
Newly Built Bench Bench_21
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

I only have like 10 bonsai but I hope mine look like that soon!
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Congratulations on a lovely bench! Its amazing how fast the benches fill up thumbs up
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Congratulations on a lovely bench! Its amazing how fast the benches fill up thumbs up

True, true... This is just the stuff that was movable... most of the trees collected in the last 2 years are still on the ground...
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 am

Very nice looking bench. It should weather very nicely. Good move placing the slats back to front instead of lengthwise.

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:20 pm

rickyricardo wrote:Very nice looking bench. It should weather very nicely. Good move placing the slats back to front instead of lengthwise.

I agree, in the end, it was the best choice, yet, doing it lengthwise would have saved about a day's labor and at least US$125... then again, this hobby is a 'labor of love' to begin with! Very Happy
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  jason.p Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi All,

Nice bench - looks very professional!
I finally decided on the place I'm going (allowed) to build my bench. As you can see there is a small obstruction which needs removing first.
Newly Built Bench 01111

Newly Built Bench 00812

Shouldn't take long to dig out.......
jason.p
jason.p

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Why don't you simply level off the top and incorporate it into your table system? Looks like it would last for a while. Digging a big stump is awfully like WORK.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jason.p Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I did think about that but its an ugly old thing, not exactly at the right height (and full of nails & rocks so difficult to lower) and keeps throwing out shoots from everywhere. And I like a challenge.
jason.p
jason.p

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 pm

@Jason.P - In your avatar your wearing the right gear haha:) maybe you know someone with a 'stump grinder'???
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  jason.p Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Dangerous,

I actually work for a firm that has a stump grinder but the stump needs to be on flat ground for it to work and this monster was on an old hedge bank and is too high. It'll have to be blood sweat and beers over the next few weekends I think.

Cheers
Jace
jason.p
jason.p

Back to top Go down

Post  jason.p Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 am

I'm getting there!
Newly Built Bench 00214
jason.p
jason.p

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Hmmm... cut the roots, trench, fill with good soil, collect next year for bonsai training Very Happy
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  jason.p Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm

er...anybody know a good potter?
jason.p
jason.p

Back to top Go down

Post  Numa Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Hello
Very beautiful building but in fact I was just asking a question.
During heavy rain, the water will go down on the roof of the shelter is she does not sink so fast it may damage the substrate trees?
Just a note to avoid unnecessary damage.
Beautiful bench

Numa
Numa
Numa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next