Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

+10
Hawaiian77
zooloo10
Todd Ellis
Mike Pollock
littleart-fx
Seth Ellwood
F. Waheedy
JimLewis
Curtis
Randy_Davis
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

Post  Randy_Davis Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi gang,

I just dug 2 corkbark elms that I've had in the ground for the last 8 years. The trunks are 7 inches in diameter and the trees are 24 inches tall. what would you do with them? Just looking for options.

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? U_p_co12
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty Re: Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

Post  Curtis Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Thats impressive!! Im sure it will make a fantastic bonsai in the future. thumbs up
Curtis
Curtis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty Re: Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Wow! Have fun with that in the future.

First thing I would do, however, is to get rid of one of those paired large upper left hand branches. Cut it flush with the trunk, then hollow out the trunk there a bit. Otherwise you are going to have a big bump there.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

JimLewis wrote:

First thing I would do, however, is to get rid of one of those paired large upper left hand branches. Cut it flush with the trunk, then hollow out the trunk there a bit. Otherwise you are going to have a big bump there.

I agree Jim! I'm planning on letting it grow out a bit this summer before I do it though. I'd like to have as much foliage as possible to encourage root production this summer and then remove one of those branches out and start bending the other branches down into position in the late summer months. I had to remove quite a lot of large roots with a saws-all to get the bottom nice and flat but there should be enough remaining to grow out.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Randy,

I can already see a stunner. such a powerful trunk. Great nebari as well.

One gorgeous tree you've got there. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Wow that is one very impressive tree I love the taper on this one it will make a very fine bonsai in the not to near future. I would focus on root development and feed it well this year and not much more .Then next year foucs on the areal part. You don't want to move too fast and have somthing drastic happen to this beauty. The next year I would remove all the large branches and focus on getting new primary branches to train and healing wounds that way you could get good placement and some proper movement to the new branches.That is my 2c. I wish you were closer to me we seem to share the same passion for the larger trees.And I might try to con you out of this baby Twisted Evil

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi! Randy.

As i undersatand u grew these?
in 8 years,......take it slow as you did.

At the right trunk lumb where branches thrive....... cut back now!
At the moment you are creating reverse tapper!
You don't want that in elves obedience!
These are other words for NICE TREE!

Cut back on roots >< cut back on .......live

Next year i would bend branches down (are these bendable?)If they could take shape....of an oak tree.

Old oaks are messy and curvy with a slight bend, read chaotic, this tree deserves that.
Long term project, when finished elves drewl! Twisted Evil

keep us posted in time!
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi! again,...

some like this.

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? U_p_co10

Sorry,...set.....back
you can start trees in full groundzzzz...... cheers

Next time,...great Job
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi littleart-fx,

I agree with most of your cut's but I think I'm going to leave them long for now which will make the bending of the branches easier to accomplish. I agree that an old Oak tree would be a nice design to follow for this tree. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty Nice...

Post  Mike Pollock Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 pm

May I be the first to say...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

Got any more in the ground I can buy?!?!?!? Smile
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Mike Pollock wrote:May I be the first to say.Got any more in the ground I can buy?!?!?!? Smile

Hi mike,

I have 2 more in the ground that I'll be taking out next year and about 100 more that will be a few years before they are ready to come out of the ground if I can keep the deer from eathing the new shoots.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty Progression update - Corkbark Elm

Post  Randy_Davis Sun May 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Just wanted to update on the progress thus far. Still 2 or 3 years more work but it's progressing along

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? U_p_co13
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun May 30, 2010 9:06 pm

yummy thumbs up !!!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  zooloo10 Sun May 30, 2010 10:51 pm

you could try a nice wind swept effect with it

zooloo10

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Mon May 31, 2010 2:04 pm

hi! Randy!

Sorry for the late replay......way to go!
Need someone to scare the deer!

Good thinking is a path to nice nice nicer trees!
Can't tell how to style,....but good job!

styling is for me,....see and feel!

grtzz from holland,.....wher someone is in love again.....and he shouts it OUT!

hi!hi!
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon May 31, 2010 6:21 pm

Howzit Randy,
Very nice progress. thumbs up In a few more years this will be a fine bonsai. Smile

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty elm tree

Post  moyogijohn Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:58 am

I love your new tree!! well new to a pot tree. it budded and leafed out really well..elms are my favorite trees.how big are the ones you still have in the ground?? good job john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for all the comments! and yes, slow steady progress is the order of the day for this tree. I did cut off some of the branches that you all suggested before it leafed out but was quite reluctant to cut them all off and start with a bare trunk. Depending on how it grows out the rest of the summer and how vigorus I can get new branches to grow out I may cut off more of the old upright branches but only time will tell.

John, I dug one other one out this year, and still have 2 more in the ground that are in the 5-7" caliper range of varying quality. One never knows what one will do with a tree from a design perspective untill its out of the ground, growing well and you spend much time imagining a finished tree before you set shears to branches! lol Here's a pic of the other one that I dug out this year which is also doing quite well. you cant see the trunk on it as it's planted deep in the pot but it's 5" caliper. It's pretty representative of the batch that I'm working with now.

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? U_p_co14
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:58 am

Randy, Glad to see this tree is cooperating as planned for you I will make a very impressive tree in a very short time.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty Time for a pot - looking for suggestions

Post  Randy_Davis Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 am

Hey Gang,

Here is an update on the field grown corkbark elm. It has progressed nicely and now needs some work on the pads on the right but it's time to start thinking of what kind of pot to put it in. I'm not a pot freak so I'm looking for suggestions from others to spark some direction. I can't decide on whether it should be a perfectly round pot or a masculine looking rectangular pot. I'm more inclined to a rectangle but could be easily talked into round. I'd like to get your comments and maybe someone out there like the potters can do a virtual of something for all of us to look at. Anyway, here's where the tree was last month. Here are the details
26" tall from ground level, trunk dimeter at the widest point is 6 1/2", Current soil depth is 4"

Randy
Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? U_p_co14
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 am

I think a shallow oval with real thick feet would look good. Color would be dk brown tokonoma with bright green moss covering the soil surface .

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello!

Just dug up the erea where you are living,....must be nice up there!

Good development!
First left branch shoots to the eye....on photo that is.
As a timber man and much more but that aside i see an angle witch is coming close to 90 degrees...oops...and sorry!

Pot oval!

Talk to kitoi!

http://plants-pottery-photo.blogspot.com/

Grtzz from Holland where i am living together with the love i have mentioned before,....and life is almost simple again!
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 am

Randy,
Here's some inspiration for oak style bonsai. This is a registered tree in the Charlottesville area; an ancient White Oak. My wife took these pictures when she showed me the tree for the first time; enjoy!
Todd
Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Dscn1511
Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Dscn1510
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:33 pm

All,

I couldn't wait another month to repot so I went ahead and repotted today. Finally it's in a pot and ready to be enjoyed! It's been an interesting two year project with some twists and turns but fun all along the way. Just for size comparison, the container is 15" in diameter.
Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? U_p_co10
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? Empty newly dug cork bark elm

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 pm

RANDY,,,You have made a great tree with this one !!! love the bark texture and trunk size..how do you get by potting this time of year ?? really good tree be proud....send one my way !! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next