Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

collecting Lonicera pileata advice?

3 posters

Go down

collecting Lonicera pileata advice? Empty collecting Lonicera pileata advice?

Post  leatherback Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 am

Hi All,

On our local ebay I found someone getting rid of a Lonicera pileata. The shrub needs to be gone by the end of the week. As I have never even seen this plant before, I had a search and found them to be good bonsai material. Freom the pictures I have seen, the srub seems to have a solid base so I would like to have a go at it. However, I have no idea what these plants like/dislike and how strong they are when it comes to major rootwork. Does anyone have suggestions for succesfull collection of this particular species?

It is a plant which has been there for years, if not decades (base several inches across with a few solid trunks). Weather here is in between winter and spring, with nice springdays mixing in with nightly frost and some melting snow.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

collecting Lonicera pileata advice? Empty Re: collecting Lonicera pileata advice?

Post  DreadyKGB Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Leatherback,
I have not collected pileata, but I have collected quite a few lonicera morrowii. I have found that these tend to be shallow rooting with a fibrous root system. They tend to come out quite easily and recover quickly. Once collected they like lots of water. I usually keep they in a semi shady area until new buds begin to emerge and then straight into full sun. The ones I have collected are very easy and I have ripped them from the ground at almost anytime of the year and they recover. I don't know if this will help with the pileata.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

collecting Lonicera pileata advice? Empty Re: collecting Lonicera pileata advice?

Post  sunip Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Hello,
I have no experience with Lonicera Pileata only with two Lonicera Nitida - Maigrun.
Lonicera Pileata is a Chinese species taking mild winters growing 1m. tall with small leaves,
Nitida is similar.
As Todd writes, Lonicera takes quite a lot, but be careful they take only mild frost when potted in a bonsaipot.
Mild frost can give branch lost when potted.
Best to protect them, in the winter 1211-1212 they lost their leaves and branch tips in the ground in the garden,
and one in a pot died.
On 4 febr. this year i collected a Lonicera Nitida Elegant cut back roots and branches and put it in the greenhouse.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down