Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine

+4
appalachianOwl
BigDave
Todd Ellis
Twisted Trees
8 posters

Go down

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Empty What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I just made this transformation today.

Before:

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Before10

After:

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Redo_j10

Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Empty Re: What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 am

Ssssssssssss ... snake style! Now let it grow!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Empty Re: What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine

Post  BigDave Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:09 am

Twisted Trees wrote:I just made this

Well you've lived up to your name...god job
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

i like it for sure. look forward to see it in 30 years or so, or when/if you'd like to update us in the future. do you plan to put it in the ground at any point?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:28 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:i like it for sure. look forward to see it in 30 years or so, or when/if you'd like to update us in the future. do you plan to put it in the ground at any point?
No my climate can get down to -24F which is too cold for Black Pine. I have about 120 seedlings which I keep protected in the winter.

I look forward to posting it's progress in 30 years or so, thanks.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

I like it but will the wire/twisting reduce the chances of getting the tree to break buds lower on the trunk? Have you read Brent Walston's article entitled "Growing Black Pines for Bonsai.?"

Best,

Augustine
central MD 7a

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 pm

If your climate is too cold for JBP, then use 'progressively' larger containers as the tree grows. Note, the key is progressively; you need the roots to fill the pot for faster growth before you move onto the next 'slightly' larger pot. Ofcourse, for top-growth you need to grow some sacrifices. Brent's articles are an excellent resource.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:54 pm

augustine wrote:I like it but will the wire/twisting reduce the chances of getting the tree to break buds lower on the trunk? Have you read Brent Walston's article entitled "Growing Black Pines for Bonsai.?"

Best,

Augustine
central MD 7a
Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure (a definite maybe). I am sure that the design does not need branches there.

I've not read that particular book.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 pm

aman wrote:If your climate is too cold for JBP, then use 'progressively' larger containers as the tree grows. Note, the key is progressively; you need the roots to fill the pot for faster growth before you move onto the next 'slightly' larger pot. Ofcourse, for top-growth you need to grow some sacrifices. Brent's articles are an excellent resource.
That's part of the plan plus some minor yearly root pruning at the bottom of the pot.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  -Daniel- Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 am

Wow, I like these twisted trees from seed.

These photos are my little larch born from seed worked twisted.

What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Larici10
What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Larici11
What To Do With a Tall Skinny Black Pine Larici12

Good job and best regards ThumbsUp
-Daniel-
-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:
augustine wrote:I like it but will the wire/twisting reduce the chances of getting the tree to break buds lower on the trunk? Have you read Brent Walston's article entitled "Growing Black Pines for Bonsai.?"

Best,

Augustine
central MD 7a
Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure (a definite maybe). I am sure that the design does not need branches there.

I've not read that particular book.

its not a book...its an article...Brent also has many other great articles on his website...here is a link

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pines2.htm
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice link. Especially also the article that is linked to after that (http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pines.htm) has some nice points:

Growing pre-trained material from seedlings has turned out to be even more difficult than styling and maintaining larger material. It is imperative to get that first whip to break buds, or already your first branch is a foot off the ground. Then there is also, in my opinion, the importance of getting some movement and taper to the trunk without losing all the low branches. It takes me about five years to get a good starter one gallon plant suitable for small bonsai or for growing on. This is about twice as long as deciduous material. Unlike deciduous plants, pines need to be developed from a very early age for a particular style and size. You need to have this image in your head. Of course larger nursery material can be used but the possibilities are always severely limited by the existing branches. To change this you must cut back most of the tree and grow a new top for the tree from an existing branch.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm

[quote=its not a book...its an article...Brent also has many other great articles on his website...here is a link

[/quote]Thanks, I just glanced briefly (will study it more later), it looks like good stuff.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Onybonsai-Daniel wrote:
These photos are my little larch born from seed worked twisted.

Good job and best regards ThumbsUp
nice start. I like the ice on the soil!
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down