Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you know that variety of elm is this?

3 posters

Go down

Do you know that variety of elm is this? Empty Do you know that variety of elm is this?

Post  pch Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

A friend gave me an elm and I don't know what variety is. Practically has leaves all year and slow to fall out.
Do you know that variety of elm is this? DSCN4006
pch
pch

Back to top Go down

Do you know that variety of elm is this? Empty Re: Do you know that variety of elm is this?

Post  lackhand Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 am

There is a variety of Chinese elm that behaves this way - ulmus parvifolia 'sempervirens'. They are green year round here, but my climate is a bit warmer (11b). From what I've heard they keep their leaves until the new ones come in down to zone 6. According to Wikipedia though, they aren't in cultivation in Europe.

That's my best guess. Bark, flowers, and seeds may help if you can get picture of those.

lackhand

Back to top Go down

Do you know that variety of elm is this? Empty Re: Do you know that variety of elm is this?

Post  Max Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 am

lackhand wrote:According to Wikipedia though, they aren't in cultivation in Europe.
This is definitely not true as chinese elms can be very frostresistant.
Last year I went to an old nursery where these trees grew outside for decades.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  pch Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 pm

This one is the elm:
Do you know that variety of elm is this? DSCN4007
Do you know that variety of elm is this? DSCN4010
pch
pch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down