Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

american chestnut

3 posters

Go down

american chestnut Empty american chestnut

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:10 am

Hey guys. I came across an article about maximum sizes chestnuts have been able to achieve historically and as I read this article, using American chestnut as bonsai came to mind. If it is possible, where can the original species be found and hypothetically, can the fungus that killed them off affect them in pot culture
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

american chestnut Empty Re: american chestnut

Post  Hoo Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:05 am

I think there are many "original" species of Carya native to NA. The shagbark is found all over Ohio. I'm sure with a little investigating you could find one and gather some seeds. Think they're pretty resistant to disease, though I don't know how well trees with large taproots do as bonsai... I'm pretty knew to all this.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 am

I remember reading a couple of years ago that a disease resistant strain of American Chesnut had been developed from some of the surviving juvenile trees. It is unknown if this is true but it sure would be nice.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 am

Vance, if you google american chestnut engineering or blight you'll find a bunch of articles on that. I remember reading one about an individual who was breeding resistent species on her (I believe a her) property with great success.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 am

Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:18 am

Too late. Today is February 6th.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 am

Hoosteady wrote:Vance, if you google american chestnut engineering or blight you'll find a bunch of articles on that. I remember reading one about an individual who was breeding resistent species on her (I believe a her) property with great success.

Good to hear. From my personal experience I worked for many years in finishing and repairing high end finishes on furniture and sometimes wooden floors, which I avoided like the plague. However; I had an experience of doing some repair on a Chestnut floor. It would seem that people are going into the old forests of these trees and harvesting the now fallen remains of these magnificent trees. I guess the wood is highly rot resistant and the hundred year old wind falls are still pretty good for cabinet work. Beautiful wood incidentally.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:00 am

Mitch - Cedarbog wrote:Hey guys. I came across an article about maximum sizes chestnuts have been able to achieve historically and as I read this article, using American chestnut as bonsai came to mind. If it is possible, where can the original species be found and hypothetically, can the fungus that killed them off affect them in pot culture
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:12 am

Mitch - Cedarbog wrote:
Mitch - Cedarbog wrote:Hey guys. I came across an article about maximum sizes chestnuts have been able to achieve historically and as I read this article, using American chestnut as bonsai came to mind. If it is possible, where can the original species be found and hypothetically, can the fungus that killed them off affect them in pot culture

Mitch, I dont have any experience with chestnut but anything that will affect a full size tree is going to impact on a bonsai of the same type.. If your really keen to grow one hunt out some resistant stock. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm

That's no5 always the case. As far as I am aware, Dutch elm disease does not affect bonsai specimens of the same species since the flight path of the beetle is above 15 feet, ect
So having that said, does the chestnut blight have the same way of affecting or is it easily controlled through our typical methods of treatment(Bayer 3n1, fungicide, been, ect) I am more of a "full blooded" tree species type, what I mean is I want the American chestnut, not a cross.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down