Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing Trident Maples in south Florida

4 posters

Go down

Growing Trident Maples in south Florida Empty Growing Trident Maples in south Florida

Post  Davevall Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 pm

First off hello, new member here. Has anyone had any luck with Trident Maples in the central / south Florida area? I am in Bradenton about an hour south of Tampa and have a nice older tree that I have had for a couple of years now. It goes dormant and comes back every spring but it just doesn't thrive too much. I was told by someone in Orlando who grows them fine up there that It probably wouldn't survive more than a few years this far south. Anybody have luck with them this far south?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by Davevall on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Davevall

Back to top Go down

Growing Trident Maples in south Florida Empty Re: Growing Trident Maples in south Florida

Post  Davevall Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Not new to Bonsai. I know how to look up horticulture information.
Just thought I would ask a question and get an answer from someone more experenced in Tridents in south Fla.

Davevall

Back to top Go down

Growing Trident Maples in south Florida Empty Re: Growing Trident Maples in south Florida

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Not from Florida,

but you can use a refridgerator, January's end until April 1st.
I had my own from 94 until 2012, and something happened, don't know what, but my tree died. It was very healthy.
I still have my ginko from 94 though.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:22 am

Khaimraj,
Can we see the ginko please? It would be an inspiration for others of us experimenting outside of our latitude.

I should search through your posts rather then ask if you bag your resting trees.

Thanks,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 am

David,

happy to show you, just don't expect a flame bonsai, my fridge also has to hold a good many hackberrys. Plus I cut off the extensions in November.
Will try to get the image up later today.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:18 pm

David,

I treat this tree with kids gloves. Repot every 3 years and pray a good deal. To replace would require a plane trip out.
Read that I should only prune in November.

Since the pot is small and this tree loses the leaves fully after 1 week in the fridge, so I just put tree and pot in. Check on watering every 2 weeks, January's end to April 1st [ my version of spring ] and clear away the fallen leaves.

I have taken to giving the cut extensions to a local herbal shop. What they do with the leaves, I do not know.Memory or something tea.
Hope this satisfies.
Khaimraj

Extensions were 3 and at 2 feet long each.

Growing Trident Maples in south Florida Ibc_g10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Khaimraj,
Thanks! Interesting about the herbal uses of the leaves. I'll have to do a little research. I do recall reading that some roast the seeds and eat them, but that there is a potential for poisonous overdose if too many are eaten. I have a Stick in pot ginko that I have been working on, from seed, for a few years.

Sorry for getting off topic, but hopefully the original poster can make room in their fridge for a little supplemental dormancy this winter.

Thanks,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Growing Trident Maples in south Florida Empty Tridents

Post  dorothy7774 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:25 am

Davevall wrote:First off hello, new member here. Has anyone had any luck with Trident Maples in the central / south Florida area? I am in Bradenton about an hour south of Tampa and have a nice older tree that I have had for a couple of years now. It goes dormant and comes back every spring but it just doesn't thrive too much. I was told by someone in Orlando who grows them fine up there that It probably wouldn't survive more than a few years this far south. Anybody have luck with them this far south?

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

I am further South, in the Naples area. We cannot grow Tridents here. They may survive about 3 seasons, but they will steadily decline. Tampa is about the cutoff line for Tridents. However, I have seen Tridents as far South as your area, and they were doing just fine. When my regular decidious trees go dormant, I move them into a more shadier place and they seem to like that. I try to give them as much rest as possible. Starting in late August, no more defoliation, cutting down fertilizer, less watering, you get the idea. Getting them ready for their nap. Very Happy

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Davevall Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:41 am

Thanks for the reply Dorothy. I figured I would see how it goes this year. This will be the third year that I will have had it. Keeping it in a shaded place is a good idea. If it makes it through this year ok I'll put it in the coolest shaded spot in the yard next year and cross my fingers.

I have heard that some people here in Sarasota are able to keep them but I've never seen them. Maybe they were raised here from seedlings and that made a difference somehow. I think you are right for the most part about Tampa being the cut off point. I don't want to loose it, it has about a 2 1/2" diameter trunk and a nice nabari. I was thinking about trading it off to someone up north if it doesn't do any better this year.

Davevall

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down