Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New bonsai word?

+4
Leo Schordje
Khaimraj Seepersad
Xavier de Lapeyre
Andrew Legg
8 posters

Go down

New bonsai word? Empty New bonsai word?

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 am

Hi All,

In my time "doing" bonsai, one thing I have found is people struggling to come up with a name for those of us who "do" bonsai. I've heard words like bonsaist, bonsai'er, grower, artist, practitioner, etc, so I decided to come up with one that kind of makes sense to me. In my mind, good bonsai (as judged by common opinion) stems primarily from one's ability in two areas - horticulture and art. Horticulture is a science, and art is of course . . . . . . well, we won't go into that here! I think most of us would how ever agree that those of us who are both artistic and good horticulturally have a good chance of making bonsai that are commonly accepted to be "good" (what a dull word!).

So, thinking along these lines, I've come up with the word "harticulturalist". I kinda like it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

New bonsai word? Empty bonsaï-ka / bonsaïka / bonsai-ka / bonsaika = 盆栽家 = bonsai practitioners.

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:30 am

Well I just hope that when you present yourself at a bonsai convention as a "harticulturalist", you would be asked "As a hearticulturalist, how do you cultivate hearts? In what medium do you grow them?"
Smile

I personally rather like the french term bonsaï-ka / bonsaïka / bonsai-ka / bonsaika = 盆栽家 = [roughtly] bonsai practitioners.
Kind of like jukoka are judo practitioners or karateka are karate practitioners.
Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

New bonsai word? Empty Re: New bonsai word?

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 am

xtolord wrote:Well I just hope that when you present yourself at a bonsai convention as a "harticulturalist", you would be asked "As a hearticulturalist, how do you cultivate hearts? In what medium do you grow them?"
Smile

I personally rather like the french term bonsaï-ka / bonsaïka / bonsai-ka / bonsaika = 盆栽家 = [roughtly] bonsai practitioners.
Kind of like jukoka are judo practitioners or karateka are karate practitioners.

Guess that's even more apt when you do trunk chops! Very Happy

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:45 am

how about this one?

if a bonsai practitioner is someone who puts trees/shrubs in pot (i'll ignore the fact if its done with skill of art), then BON is the word for the tray/pot the tree is planted id... now that would make us BON-ER...boners?

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:55 am

Seriously, Science is research and Art at it's highest level [ Imaginative Figurative with planned involved backgrounds ] is research.
Essential for all the crap, Fine Art is also science.

If Bonsai is Horticulture plus DESIGN , then one would be a Master Gardener or a Bonsaist.

If you must have a tag for a Hobby.

If asked, I just say I grow Bonsai/Penjing, most folk could care toothpicks about what you call yourself, they are often too busy admiring and being amazed by the little trees in pots. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hobby, hobby, hobby.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Seriously, Science is research and Art at it's highest level [ Imaginative Figurative with planned involved backgrounds ] is research.
Essential for all the crap, Fine Art is also science.

If Bonsai is Horticulture plus DESIGN , then one would be a Master Gardener or a Bonsaist.

If you must have a tag for a Hobby.

If asked, I just say I grow Bonsai/Penjing, most folk could care toothpicks about what you call yourself, they are often too busy admiring and being amazed by the little trees in pots. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hobby, hobby, hobby.
Khaimraj

I'm still not gonna call myself a boner!!! affraid Perhaps a bonehead rendeer but not a boner!

Just a bit of light-hearted fun really.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 am

Wink

Still, i think there are enough bonsai-folks who occasionally get a BON-xR when admiring a great bonsai.
If one person is experiencing that...it would be a Boner with a boner.
They say you can fall in love with bonsai no?

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

yves71277 wrote:Wink

Still, i think there are enough bonsai-folks who occasionally get a BON-xR when admiring a great bonsai.
If one person is experiencing that...it would be a Boner with a boner.
They say you can fall in love with bonsai no?

Very Happy

lol!
Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 pm

@Yves
I while a nice bonsai can stir my imagination, stirs nothing below the belt Wink but were a young lovely holding the tree, that's another matter. Twisted Evil

@xtolord
I really like the sound of bonsaika or bonsai-ka. It actually flows in english and isn't too childish. Not that I would use it much with non-bonsai people, but it is a nice short hand abbreviation to use in our conversations about bonsai with bonsai people.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 pm

[quote="Andrew Legg"
In my time "doing" bonsai, one thing I have found is people struggling to come up with a name for those of us who "do" bonsai. [/quote]

Nice try Andrew, harticulturist sounds like a Pirate Maryjuana dealer

How about Bonsaier, One who does bonsai is bonsaing, and...

He is a" bonsaier"
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 am

My wife made a verb out of it. When ever I go outside she says "you going bonsain"?

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:
In my time "doing" bonsai, one thing I have found is people struggling to come up with a name for those of us who "do" bonsai.

I like that Jkd, thats nails if for the doing. But what about those who do bonsai, what shall we call them... as Andrew said above.

bonsaiist-- awkward to say

bonsaika-- okay but has no real meaning to english speakers

harticulturist--pirate

bonsai hobby est, -dont know how to even spell it

bonsainut- er,,, cant mention over here LOL

bonsai practitioner- sounds like bonsai has a sore throat

boner... uh no

Whats left... bonsaiers, those who do bonsai
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Men... usually get asked.. "And what do you do?" with reference to employment.

My response is "I have been known to trim the occasional bush" normally the conversation ends there Rolling Eyes

Titles are irrelevant, results are what counts.

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm

tony wrote:
My response is "I have been known to trim the occasional bush" normally the conversation ends there Rolling Eyes

bounce What a Face Very Happy

Hahahahaha, I wonder why conversation then just.. stops Very Happy

Grtz,

Jelle.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  -keith- Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 pm

ive always refered to it as "practicing bonsai" but my kids say "dads playing with his trees again" Rolling Eyes
telling someone you play with trees really isnt an option tho
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

tony wrote:

thank you O wise one, end of quest
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm

-keith- wrote:ive always refered to it as "practicing bonsai"

when will you stop practicing Keith and do it for real

Shocked
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 pm

tony wrote:Men... usually get asked.. "And what do you do?" with reference to employment.

For some of us titles are important Tony as our results are not much to shout about! drunken

Ahoy dere me harticulturalists . . . . . oooooooo shiver me timbers! pirat

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down