Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Went on Yammadori expedition today.

2 posters

Go down

Went on Yammadori expedition today. Empty Went on Yammadori expedition today.

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 pm

I drove this morning to the farm...it is a game ranch, some 7000 hectares big. Most of it is forest. Did not have much time, so did not spend much time choosing a tree, next time hope will have more time. At list will learn how to dig them t and plant them. Honestly did not know what to look for. Tried one tree with very interesting bark, one acacia look alike, one small tree that looked a bit like bonsai, and one that had very interestingly shaped branches...
Dont know any of their names..For short dug out 4, dropped them in a vat with water and will plant them tomorrow in the garden. Hope they will grow.
They are just shooting their first leaves of the season so I guess it is like spring.
Only one of them has somewhat interesting trunk with some movement, but it was so big and growing in pure sand...not dure if I will manage to make it grow. Very few roots. There is always next time..
What do You think about them?
My camera died on me so had to take the pictures with my phone.
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2012
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2013
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2014
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2016
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2017
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2018
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2019
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Went on Yammadori expedition today. Empty Re: Went on Yammadori expedition today.

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm

some more
I think this looks like acacia,
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2020
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2021
A little bridge over a stream
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2022
Lots of acacia seedlings on the ground.
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2024

Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Went on Yammadori expedition today. Empty Re: Went on Yammadori expedition today.

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

I think I need to go on the other side of the farm Here the soil is just sand...pure sand, so the roots are going down too deep. But had not much time.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Hello Neli,

In this dry circumstances you could prepare the roots of some interesting trees on location before collecting them later.
Make the roots a bit free and cover them with organic soil, leaves or moss, something that holds moisture longer than sand.
This way you will get some acceptable surface roots.
Also to big branches could be pruned already.
Eventually some regular watering and control of the roots will be good or cutting of some deep going roots.
Looks to me you have some fun area to collect.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:03 am

Neli wrote:I drove this morning to the farm...it is a game ranch, some 7000 hectares big. Most of it is forest. Did not have much time, so did not spend much time choosing a tree, next time hope will have more time. At list will learn how to dig them t and plant them. Honestly did not know what to look for. Tried one tree with very interesting bark, one acacia look alike, one small tree that looked a bit like bonsai, and one that had very interestingly shaped branches...
Dont know any of their names..For short dug out 4, dropped them in a vat with water and will plant them tomorrow in the garden. Hope they will grow.
They are just shooting their first leaves of the season so I guess it is like spring.
Only one of them has somewhat interesting trunk with some movement, but it was so big and growing in pure sand...not dure if I will manage to make it grow. Very few roots. There is always next time..

This, the second photo, looks very interesting. I don't suppose you have a close-up photo of the foliage or at least the twigs at the top?

The fact that they are growing in pure sand can be a positive sign that they are survivors and "probably" very forgiving of most mistakes you might make ........ plus making them easy to dig up too. Smile

Try also to remember that their habit of growing in sand will give you a good indication of how to care for them - as opposed to plants growing in rich soil.

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am

sunip wrote:Hello Neli,

In this dry circumstances you could prepare the roots of some interesting trees on location before collecting them later.
Make the roots a bit free and cover them with organic soil, leaves or moss, something that holds moisture longer than sand.
This way you will get some acceptable surface roots.
Also to big branches could be pruned already.
Eventually some regular watering and control of the roots will be good or cutting of some deep going roots.
Looks to me you have some fun area to collect.
Sunip Wink
Thanks Darling,
I planted them at home in the ground for now to see if they will come up...But this is a great idea....though a bit hard to find them in a huge farm...He he he!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 am

Scion wrote:
Neli wrote:I drove this morning to the farm...it is a game ranch, some 7000 hectares big. Most of it is forest. Did not have much time, so did not spend much time choosing a tree, next time hope will have more time. At list will learn how to dig them t and plant them. Honestly did not know what to look for. Tried one tree with very interesting bark, one acacia look alike, one small tree that looked a bit like bonsai, and one that had very interestingly shaped branches...

This, the second photo, looks very interesting. I don't suppose you have a close-up photo of the foliage or at least the twigs at the top?

The fact that they are growing in pure sand can be a positive sign that they are survivors and "probably" very forgiving of most mistakes you might make ........ plus making them easy to dig up too. Smile

Try also to remember that their habit of growing in sand will give you a good indication of how to care for them - as opposed to plants growing in rich soil.
They have no liefs yet...just buds. But I will check if I have a picture of maybe one open lief. They grow everywhere even in just soil areas. If it is a tough one, it is just the right one for me...just that it will be a no name bonsai...hard to identify.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 am

No lief yet...just buds and flowers. Here the flowers come first.
Went on Yammadori expedition today. Img-2025

Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Neli wrote:If it is a tough one, it is just the right one for me...just that it will be a no name bonsai...hard to identify.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have several "no name" bonsai and potensai. Embarassed

Neli wrote:Here the flowers come first.

Izzit?

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 am

Scion wrote:
Neli wrote:If it is a tough one, it is just the right one for me...just that it will be a no name bonsai...hard to identify.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have several "no name" bonsai and potensai. Embarassed
He! Then I am not aline! What is potensai?

Neli wrote:Here the flowers come first.

Izzit?
Maybe itis something to do with the flowers rushing to flower and drop the seeds on time...or use energy on important things like reproduction first????
I dont know if You can see on the branch...the flowers are out first and the leaves not yet.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:37 am

Neli wrote:What is potensai?
"Potensai" is a potential bonsai .... a plant, tree, or shrub that you WANT to make into bonsai.

Neli wrote:Maybe itis something to do with the flowers rushing to flower and drop the seeds on time...or use energy on important things like reproduction first????
I dont know if You can see on the branch...the flowers are out first and the leaves not yet.

There are many trees that flower before the leaves, even here in the northern hemisphere, such as Prunus and Malus.

Ps. U es n Afrikaner?

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks, I will post again soon if I go to dig out some more and what happens to this ones...Lets hope they will grow.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down