Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camellia identification

3 posters

Go down

Camellia identification  Empty Camellia identification

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 pm

I picked up a nice camellia at home depot the other day. The tag has it as Camellia sasanqua. Can any one identify what variety it may be.
[img]Camellia identification  B5C920FF-878A-4967-91EE-A870790B3B44-6114-00000A3BDFC6DCBE[/img]

Thanks

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Camellia identification  Empty Re: Camellia identification

Post  coh Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Could be "yuletide", which is the variety that I have (and is currently blooming). See https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t5468p15-camellia-problem#75656
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Camellia identification  Empty Camellia ID

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks Chris
As it goes it was in a bunch other Camellias that were tagged as Yuletide, they were all in bloom with mostly reddish blooms. Mine wasn't in bloom and had much smaller leaves than the others. It also didn't have the Yuletide tags the others had. I was surprised to see my blooms are more of a dark pink. I also don't totaly trust mass tagged nursery trees as I have seen many mis labeled. I am not familiar with camellias so here I am. What yawl think?

Thanks Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm

I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of camellias, so hopefully someone else can help (Russell?). You could poke around these websites and see if you can find something that matches:

http://www.camelliasrus.com.au/sasanquas.htm

http://www.camforest.com/

Or maybe call the people at camellia forest...I've spoken to them in the past and they were very helpful.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Camellia identification  Empty Camellia

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks Chris
I'll poke around on your link. Which way are you leaning? Also today the second day of blooming the blooms are more of a pink color if that means anything.

Thanks
Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Thanks Chris
I'll poke around on your link. Which way are you leaning? Also today the second day of blooming the blooms are more of a pink color if that means anything.

Thanks
Mitch
Mitch,

Not sure what you mean by "which way are you leaning?" I haven't had time to go through all the photos. I do know that sometimes the flower colors can be slightly off (even for the same cultivar) because of cultural conditions, so it could still be a yuletide. The one thing that is throwing me is your comment about the leaf size being much smaller. Again, I think that could be cultural to a degree. If you called the folks at Camellia Forest and described the differences, they might be able to tell you whether it sounds like a different cultivar (and which one). Or...you said it came from Home Depot, did the plants have any other labeling indicating the source (such as monrovia)? If so you could contact that company and find out if they carry other similar camellias that could have been mislabeled.

Can you post a photo of the whole plant? Maybe with a close up of the leaves?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Camellia identification  Empty Camellia

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey Chris
I was asking if you were thinking it was a Yuletide, like yours. I did call CF and they think it is Yuletide, they said some are not the deep red like most of them, also said some have slightly smaller leaves that could have been caused by several different environmental conditions. Either way I going to start my first styling after blooming is done.
Thanks Chris

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 pm

If the leaves are naturally smaller on your plant, it may be an advantage. I find the leaves on mine to be a little large for its size. Of course the flowers are pretty big as well.

Looking forward to seeing it when you get a chance. There aren't a lot of camellias posted here!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Camellia identification  Empty Camellia ID

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 am

Hey Chris here is shot of the blooms on my camellia. They are about 1 1/2" in dia. The leaves are average 1"[img]Camellia identification  EEB266BC-8E20-41A1-97BE-2CE9CEEBA0E9-1005-0000019B67EAE5AB[/img]

Thanks Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:36 pm

It's really hard to say. Many nurseries have their own named introductions, and they are often nearly identical to their competitor's named introductions! It looks a little like 'autumn sunrise', but maybe not enough white in the petal.

Is there a tag on it saying what nursery/grower it came from?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Hey Russell
I went back to Cheepe Depot and snaged one of the tags. Here is a tag from another tree in the same pile as the others.

[img]Camellia identification  A33FDA71-4D3E-4B9C-ADA3-09D585EFAD87-1559-000002B08648EA5B[/img]

Thanks Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Hmmm...flowers on my yuletide are definitely a lot more of a deep red, like on the tag. They're pretty big, some up to almost 3" across. Most of the leaves are greater than 1" in length. So maybe this is a different variety.

You might check with the nursery manager at HD to see if they possibly ordered more than 1 variety.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down