Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Neil, quest artist

5 posters

Go down

Ryan Neil, quest artist Empty Ryan Neil, quest artist

Post  dick benbow Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:08 pm

was the quest speaker, at the Puget Sound bonsai Association in seattle. It was the last of a series on a Rocky mountain Juniper.
Always in the past the tree was raffled off after initial design and you never saw them again. Last year they started a program where the tree was initially designed, allowed to recover and then a year later refined. WOW! very helpful to learn from the transistion.Ryan Neil, quest artist Img_2720
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Ryan Neil, quest artist Empty Re: Ryan Neil, quest artist

Post  peter keane Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:04 pm

That's a great way to teach students about tree progression and break the paradigm that bonsai is about making "instant trees".
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm

you said it so much better than I....and I agree it was a shift in the right direction!
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 pm

I took a half day class with Ryan before the meeting. Took a nursery stock blue atlas cedar
before and after pics. ( he chose what I consdered the back of the tree for the front) Said my mistake in selection was I did not take into consideration the directional movement of the tree. Guy's "got-it! ", no doubt....Ryan Neil, quest artist Img_2721Ryan Neil, quest artist Img_2722
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 pm

I asked what he saw in the way of a pot for it after a year of getting over being "mauled"....he said keep your eyes open for a round (maybe oval) unglazed pot with reddish tone to the brown......Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Nice start. Do you have a sketch for the future design? I'm having a hard time seeing how the lower right branch is going to relate to the rest of the tree.

I also get frustrated by these demos where you never see the tree again. I wonder how many of them even survive? Maybe I'll suggest to our club that we should have a day devoted to "raffle trees" where people bring them back in for everyone to see...(and/or for additional work)
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm

I don't have a sketch of the tree. Previous teachers Peter Adams and david de groot both were excellent sketchers. Ryan I never have seen lift a pencil. he told me next year we want to see the top develop with some growth and fullness. The first branch on the right side would have shown better if I'd have gotten a little better angle. I will try and get another photo when repotted.
appreciate your post. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveV. Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm

I think a Sara Raynor pot would be a good choice - oval , unglazed, redish-brown in color.

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Dick, nice tree, sounds like you had a good class. If I could be so nosey as to ask what the directional change was to make the back the front? Was it leaning away? Was it the apex? I would like to understand more fully please.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 am

my selection found the top of the tree easily facing forward. His front, caused us to raffia the top branch in order to face forward and down.Ryan Neil, quest artist Img_2723
you can see that the former front is now Jin easier in this shot.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Ah, I see it now, thanks Dick!

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down