Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A day with Ryan Neil

+3
sunip
John Brocklehurst
dick benbow
7 posters

Go down

A day with Ryan Neil Empty A day with Ryan Neil

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm

here's a picture of my finished tree. naturally i was too excited to shoot a picture of the before until it was already underway. It's an engleman spruce. yamadori dug back in 1989 and was just a ball of tiny spruce needles to begin with.A day with Ryan Neil Img_2815
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

A day with Ryan Neil Empty Re: A day with Ryan Neil

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 pm

My Friend Jason posts here and attended the
class with his ponderosa pine.......A day with Ryan Neil Img_2816
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Looks like you had a great day Dick, I love the line of your Spruce and the bark texture...good enough to eat

Regards
John

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 pm

what's funny John, is when this tree (yamadori dug in 1989) came up for sale, I was told by someone who I regard with their ability in the club, not to buy it because it had no future.
folks can say what they want about ryan (too expensive etc etc) but this guy walks the walk with a degree in horticulture from a prestigeous west coast university and the 6 years with kimura. many people have theories on how to do what, and when and when you ask them why, they don't seem to quite come up with an answer based on the knowledge or practice like ryan.

What was fun for me and another "olde timer" in the class yesterday, was to hear all his answers to questions that had no relationship to the decades of books and instruction we both had secured. we had to laugh, that much of his info was 180 degrees from what was commonly accepted. he's the real thing! next class is in april Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm

we accused gaylen, owner of this pine of starting a new display technique with kusamono, made from root from mother plant and potted in a little pot along side the tree. Picture was snapped just before he folded it into the pot Smile

I look back at the day and realized how much fun we had but was so serious taking copius notes and being focused that i didn't really enjoy like i should have.A day with Ryan Neil Img_2817
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:40 pm

can't wait for one of our eagle eyed viewers to comment on the silver wire in photo of last post. got great story to share Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello Dick,
Please tell us.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Ryan is using this to secure bonsai to the pot. It's according to him, suppose to last longer and never fatique or stretch like alluminum. Comes in a 1/4 mile long spools.
It's 17 gauge galvanized electric fence wire. here in the states available most hardware stores, he got his at True value brand.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 pm

dick benbow wrote:can't wait for one of our eagle eyed viewers to comment on the silver wire in photo of last post. got great story to share Smile

Interesting silver wire Dick - what's up with it? Cool

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:58 pm

He's been using it on Mirai ( his own trees) and has encouraged his students to use it. Cost is a little nicer on the budget. Next few days I'm gonna get me a roll.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am

Hello Dick.
It works great.
I am using it already for years wiring branches down, but use some branch protection.
Buy different sizes (thickness).
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Does the bright silver color upset or take away from your vision of your tree using this product. I would think
buried under the soil would be OK but I worry how it would look as too distracting even for trees known to be just in training?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Hello Dick.
The fencewire i use gets quickly a mat surface.
I am used to it, it also depends if seen with the sky behind it or against a dark backdrop.
The aluminum wire is visible as well, anyway, with both i am happy when i can take them of.
It is stronger and cheaper.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 pm

dick benbow wrote:My Friend Jason posts here and attended the
class with his ponderosa pine.......A day with Ryan Neil Img_2816

Nice pine! Perhaps Jason can post some more pics? Thank you for posting, Dick. I can only imagine the good time you guys had with Ryan!

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:41 pm

To be clear - this wire is ONLY to be used in such things as securing tree to pot and guy wiring (if you don't mind the initial silver colour)? Can it be used for wiring branches on trees in development?

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Hello,
No, not for wiring.
Regardless if sometimes one can observe it on cheap mallsai from China rusted an all,
never use it to wire a branch as it is to stiff and causes damage to the tissue.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:58 am

Nice pine! Perhaps Jason can post some more pics? Thank you for posting, Dick. I can only imagine the good time you guys had with Ryan!

-Dorothy[/quote]

thanks Dorothy, a few pics of the pine I worked on
A day with Ryan Neil Ponder10

A day with Ryan Neil Ponder11

and before styling
A day with Ryan Neil Random10

A day with Ryan Neil Random11

Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content