Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new boulevard

2 posters

Go down

new boulevard Empty new boulevard

Post  bobby little Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 pm

new boulevard Photo021

new boulevard Photo022

new boulevard Photo023

new boulevard Photo024

new boulevard Photo025

Again, apologies for the poor quality photos. Also apologies for flooding the board, but I'm off with the swine flu, so taking advantage of the time and access to the pooter without the bairn fiddling about with it. I had nipped out (I'm not infectious anymore, but cos I work in a hospital I have strict guidelines about going back to work) to pick up a hawthorn from a wee nursery along the road in Lutterworth. Instead, for £23 I got this, a pyracantha and a wee larch for my group I have planned.

There's a shari up the back of the tree, which needs treating, and there's some wire scarring on the branch at the left from the rear view, so I thought I might make a jin there and continue the shari through that. One option I thought of was to take all the branches off and just keep the top foliage, but I think I should try some more ambitious stuff first because I can always fall back on that if it goes boobies up. A bit out of my depth ( couldn't accuse me of lacking ambition) but for a tenner I'd have been mental to knock it back.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Smile
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

new boulevard Empty Re: new boulevard

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Hope you are recovering OK from the Swine Flu?

Chamaecyparis pisifera Boulevard is a difficult variety for bonsaiiing. It can be done but requires absolute dedication to pinching regularly and preventing loss of inner growth through lack of light.

I think that yours is pretty much screaming literati. I can't see any other option at the moment.

Perhaps you should air layer off all the lower branches next spring.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Hope you are recovering OK from the Swine Flu?

Chamaecyparis pisifera Boulevard is a difficult variety for bonsaiiing. It can be done but requires absolute dedication to pinching regularly and preventing loss of inner growth through lack of light.

I think that yours is pretty much screaming literati. I can't see any other option at the moment.

Perhaps you should air layer off all the lower branches next spring.

thought it was going to be tricky to keep dense.

Don't you think it has the potential to be a windswept?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:15 pm

and yes, thank you. I got it in a gastric variety alas, and I have barely seen the outside of my smallest room until yesterday. first proper solid food today since last thursday when it kicked in. My other obsession is Wing chun kung fu, and alas I've lost quite a bit of weight ( I was only ten stone and a bit to start with What a Face ) but the good side is, my abs, which were always strong, but covered in an insulating layer of beer lard, are now cut like Bruce Lee's Very Happy . Supping on some murphy's to get my strength back as we speak, so it won't last Crying or Very sad
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Using pic 2 as a front it could be developed as a windswept, but again it must be pinched and pinched and pinched. And fed and pinched.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Using pic 2 as a front it could be developed as a windswept, but again it must be pinched and pinched and pinched. And fed and pinched.

so all my Wing Chun finger tip push ups will prove useful for Bonsai eh? Handy.

And I took your advice about planting my knackered elderly elm in the ground too. Cheers. cheers
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

new boulevard Empty New Boulevard

Post  Guest Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:15 pm

As Kevin says. Boulevard, is an incredibly difficult species for Bonsai. Ihave been arguing against them, as Bonsai material, with a friend of mine for years. Simon Temblett has a good example of one. Even his, although a great image,does not have tertiary branch structure. Whether this will come in time I dont know. Very high maintenance but excelant practice material.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

I had Simons tree in mind when I wrote the above. In the hands of a true artist they do make a fine tree.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 am

Kev Bailey wrote:I had Simons tree in mind when I wrote the above. In the hands of a true artist they do make a fine tree.

ther's trouble then affraid
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down