Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS

+6
Khaimraj Seepersad
Andrew Legg
Robert Steven
rps
smokeyjoe
GarlR
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Empty Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 am

Hey, I am looking to get into the hobby. I'm trying to find a good place to buy a bonsai. I was looking at Bonsai Outlet (but it looks like the picture isn't the actual tree). I just found http://www.weetree.com, and they actually have pictures of the trees. However, I didn't find anything I liked or suited me. (I want a indoor bonsai)

Also I am looking to buy Novice Bonsai Tool Kit - Plus, JR9902B (Comes with Joshua Roth). Any ideas on this tool kit? I know I probably don't need everything in the kit right away, but I'd like to have it to save money in the long run when I might need it...instead of buying it separately.
JR8163 - Ashinaga Shear
JR8165 - Wire Cutter
JR8169 - Concave Cutter
JR8176 - Root Rake
JR8178 - Tweezers
JR1166 - Leaf Trimmer
JR6001 - Hemp Broom
JR6048 - Drainage Netting/1 piece
JR3005 - Nylon Tool Roll

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Empty Where to buy Bonsai - and TOOLS

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 am

I just posted this in the Bonsai Discussion, but I think I should of posted it here. Apologies.

Hey, I am looking to get into the hobby. I'm trying to find a good place to buy a bonsai. I was looking at Bonsai Outlet (but it looks like the picture isn't the actual tree). I just found http://www.weetree.com, and they actually have pictures of the trees. However, I didn't find anything I liked or suited me. (I want a indoor bonsai)

Also I am looking to buy Novice Bonsai Tool Kit - Plus, JR9902B (Comes with Joshua Roth). Any ideas on this tool kit? I know I probably don't need everything in the kit right away, but I'd like to have it to save money in the long run when I might need it...instead of buying it separately.
JR8163 - Ashinaga Shear
JR8165 - Wire Cutter
JR8169 - Concave Cutter
JR8176 - Root Rake
JR8178 - Tweezers
JR1166 - Leaf Trimmer
JR6001 - Hemp Broom
JR6048 - Drainage Netting/1 piece
JR3005 - Nylon Tool Roll

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Empty Re: Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 am

I'd most likely buy Japanese tools, as they are better quality, and will last longer. (Bit more expensive too)

Any ideas where to buy a bonsai (an aged one) online? (where I can see the actual plant before I buy?)

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Empty Re: Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:19 am

I found that place too. Nothing that suited my fancy, unfortunately.

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:35 am

http://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66&sort=20a&page=2

Because of stock turnover & overall volume, most vendors don't (can't) post their entire inventory on-line. If you call or e-mail them with an idea of what you're after (and a price range) the reputable ones will send you pictures of suitable specimen trees.

Any particular species interest you?
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:36 am

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS 212

Joshua Roth has perfect tools sets for beginners...

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Ryuga_10

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Ct-set11
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:49 am

rps wrote:http://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66&sort=20a&page=2

Because of stock turnover & overall volume, most vendors don't (can't) post their entire inventory on-line. If you call or e-mail them with an idea of what you're after (and a price range) the reputable ones will send you pictures of suitable specimen trees.

Any particular species interest you?

I was thinking of Fukien Tea or Chinese Elm. I just work night shift, and it is do anything during the day. Maybe a ficus.

Definitely would be indoors only. Has to be able to grow in low light.

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:53 am

I love this tree in the picture. I don't know why. It just 'speaks' to me.

http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/fukien-tea-bonsai-tree-ft10-indoor/

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:07 am

GarlR wrote: I was thinking of Fukien Tea or Chinese Elm. I just work night shift, and it is do anything during the day. Maybe a ficus.

Of the three, ficus will be most forgiving of lower light levels. You may, at some point, want to consider supplemental light.
If you can't call in the daytime, just e-mail a few of the tropical nurseries indicating what you're after (and willing to spend) and ask for some specimen photos. One of the Florida based IBC participants can probably suggest a few to try (not all of the nurseries have websites, but I think the majority of them at least have e-mail).
Running a nursery entails a lot of hard work, so they can get pretty busy with the day to day chores --- don't be discouraged if it takes them a few days to get back to you.
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:14 am

rps wrote:
GarlR wrote: I was thinking of Fukien Tea or Chinese Elm. I just work night shift, and it is do anything during the day. Maybe a ficus.

Of the three, ficus will be most forgiving of lower light levels. You may, at some point, want to consider supplemental light.
If you can't call in the daytime, just e-mail a few of the tropical nurseries indicating what you're after (and willing to spend) and ask for some specimen photos. One of the Florida based IBC participants can probably suggest a few to try (not all of the nurseries have websites, but I think the majority of them at least have e-mail).
Running a nursery entails a lot of hard work, so they can get pretty busy with the day to day chores --- don't be discouraged if it takes them a few days to get back to you.

What do you think about the tools? That link the guy posted looks nice for $60. However, the one I'm looking at is the Joshua Roth Japanese for $150. Also I will be placing it near my window. I usually get decent light. With the blinds, during the day, if i'm on the couch, I have to turn them upwards bc the bright light kills my eyes. Smile

I just don't want to buy some crap, then have to buy again later.

Also have you ever seen 1-800-flowers?

I was looking at this too. http://ww11.1800flowers.com/product.do?baseCode=40012&dataset=12028&cm_cid=d10291

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 am

GarlR wrote:I love this tree in the picture. I don't know why. It just 'speaks' to me.

http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/fukien-tea-bonsai-tree-ft10-indoor/

I bought some Sara Rayner pots through that vendor & was pleased with the product and service --- but, in that the pots were hand-made, the product was definitely "as pictured". I can't speak to their trees overall, but you're right about the photo being "stock" --- ie: while representative, it is not the specific tree you'd receive. I think they rely on moving stock fast, so whether or not they'd be willing/able to send you some specific photos is uncertain --- but it's free to e-mail them & ask.
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:56 am

GarlR wrote:
What do you think about the tools? That link the guy posted looks nice for $60. However, the one I'm looking at is the Joshua Roth Japanese for $150. Also I will be placing it near my window. I usually get decent light. With the blinds, during the day, if i'm on the couch, I have to turn them upwards bc the bright light kills my eyes. Smile

I have no regrets about the Joshua Roth tools in my humble arsenal. Though, for what it's worth, I'm flying the intermediate grade --- which I take to be both more robust and (for lack of a better word) 'refined' than the novice Joshy line. I've heard good things about their (Chinese made) Ryuga tools, but have never actually handled any.
Go to this forum's home page and use the google search there to look up past discussions on "tools" --- you'll find plenty of information that way.
After that, run some searches on the different species you're interested in to find out about other people's experiences with them.

800-flowers is news to me. I doubt any of the larger outlets will be able to fix you up with tree specific photos, but that shouldn't stop you from asking.
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 am

I'd like to save you some money and help you overcome what seems to be a stereotype. Japanese tools are of a very high quality, but for the average casual bonsai grower, I'd be so bold as to suggest that you are wasting your money. Rather spend the extra hundred dollars on a better tree, or a second tree for when you kill your first one. If you buy reasonable quality Chinese bonsai tools, and are prepared to look after them (even more important with top end Japanese tools), they will last you a lot longer than you think. If this is going to be you only tree, or if you are only going to have a few trees, buy a concave cutter, a pair of long handled scissors and a pair of stout root scissors for root pruning. Then go down to your local Chinese takeaway and get a nice crispy duck that will come with a fantastically useful set of chopsticks. These are very handy for repotting, and if you look after the chopsticks they too will last you well. You will now have all you need.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 am

I just need a tree. I think I will buy the $50 of tools.

I just really think if I am paying more than $100, I have the right to see hat I am purchasing.

Attempting to find a online store not to get ripped off is hard.

Last edited by GarlR on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Autocorrect)

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:52 am

Good choice on the tools mate. People run businesses and if they choose not to send you photos of the exact tree, then you choose not to do business unless you really are not too bothered by what you get. From what I can tell, you are bothered by what you get, so take the time to find something you like. You are afterall going to have it for a very long time if you keep it alive and if your interest remains. It will ALWAYS bug you if you have something that was not just what you wanted. My advice, make the effort to go and see some tree in the wood.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Looks like this tree I can actually buy. $99. Fukien Tea. What do you think about it? I'm not so sure I like the 'roots' or whatever it is at the bottom since I don't know it will look when it gets bigger or if I can 'chop' them off.

Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Fukienteabonsai

I also thought about this Kingsville Boxwood, but I don't think it will fair well indoors.

http://www.weetree.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1115

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Mate, go find a real nursery and a real tree. That FTea has a number of faults and I think the Box will struggle indoors unless you create a suitable environment for it. Take the trouble to go to a bonsai nursery - you will not regret it. Where do you live? Surely there's one nearby?

Last edited by Andrew Legg on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:Mate, go find a real nursery and a real tree. That FTea has a number of faults and I think the Box will struggle indoors unless you create a suitable environment for it. Take the trouble to go to a bonsai nursery - you will not regret it. Where do you live? Surely there's one nearby?

What kind of faults? There isn't one nearby. I live in Columbia, SC. Also I sleep during the day. I go to bed around 10 AM, waking up around 6 AM. Which means i'm pretty limited on traveling.

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:43 pm

GarlR,

I believe $99.00 is a bit too much to start with. Perhaps $30.00 or less.

Well if you learnt how to keep this tree healthy and were willing to grow it on for around 5 / 10 years. Here's a possible future.
Later.
Khaimraj

The finer line is what has to be grown in. Note expansion of growing wood.
Best Place To Buy Bonsai - And TOOLS Future10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:46 pm

GarlR wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:Mate, go find a real nursery and a real tree. That FTea has a number of faults and I think the Box will struggle indoors unless you create a suitable environment for it. Take the trouble to go to a bonsai nursery - you will not regret it. Where do you live? Surely there's one nearby?

What kind of faults? There isn't one nearby. I live in Columbia, SC. Also I sleep during the day. I go to bed around 10 AM, waking up around 6 AM. Which means i'm pretty limited on traveling.

Faults I see are:

1.) Roots are a bit odd
2.) Inverse taper in the base of the trunk
3.) First branch seems to come from the inside of a bend (photo's can be deceiving so perhaps not)
4.) General lack of taper in the trunk
5.) Monotonous S-bend shaped trunk

I do however understand your problem. Keep looking around and with a bit of luck and perseverance I'm sure you can find a better tree than this one. Of course, that's just my opinion based on my tastes, and that may be different to yours.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:05 pm

GarlR wrote:
rps wrote:

I was looking at this too. http://ww11.1800flowers.com/product.do?baseCode=40012&dataset=12028&cm_cid=d10291

Never buy a bonsai from 1800flowers- guaranteed it'll be crap. Buy good tools! Those cheap sets on ebay are trash-period. The JR tools are good as are the new
ones JR sells from Rugya- Wigerts is probably one of your best choices for tropicals- email them I'm sure they'll work with you.

Last edited by Bob Pressler on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  GarlR Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Bob Pressler wrote:
GarlR wrote:
rps wrote:

Never buy a bonsai from 1800flowers- guaranteed it'll be crap. Buy good tools! Those cheap sets on ebay are trash-period. The JR tools are good as are the new
ones JR sells from Rugya- Wigerts is probably one of your best choices for tropicals- email them I'm sure they'll work with you.

Kind of already bought the tools....lol. I need to call Wigerts and see if they have any more that what is listed on the website.

GarlR

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Bob Pressler wrote: .....The JR tools are good as are the new ones JR sells from Rugya....

Normally JR does not sell Chinese tools. but RYUGA is exception, so no doubt RYUGA will soon replace big part of market of Japanese tools. Beside the very competitive price, the quality is just no question because this factory has been producing bonsai tools for 2 Japanese companies under OEM for more than 8 years with the Japanese QC standard. You can googling for more info or visit their official website, they have exclusive agents in more than 20 countries worldwide.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next