Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai

5 posters

Go down

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai Empty Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

This fellow is just finishing its first year in a bonsai pot. It stands 6 inches from the pot rim (down from about 2-plus feet when purchased as a nursery plant).

Trunk needs work, but is getting a nice basal flare. Much (if any) taper above the flare may be out of the question, though.

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai 10-12_17

The base:

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai 10-12_18

Here it is the day it came home:

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai 12_09_10

As always, comments, suggestions and criticism are welcomed.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai Empty Re: Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai

Post  GašperG Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:55 pm

One year?? Very well done, love the base, top is already looking nice. Make sure you post it again next year.
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai Empty Re: Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai

Post  thomasj Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Yeah that is pretty good work for one years time, especially with that flare that you mentioned. I have a question for you though, I picked a small one up at our club convention in April from a vendor in Florida and it has been doing great in the Tx heat and has some nice little flowers on it now. This pic was taken at purchase. My question is how much of the Texas cold will it be able to take? Will it need to be brought in for some of those overnight lows in the 30s and sometime 20s? Crying or Very sad

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai Bon1111
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Good so far Jim.

please show again as it ages and you train.
Stay well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I picked a small one up at our club convention in April from a vendor in Florida and it has been doing great in the Tx heat and has some nice little flowers on it now. This pic was taken at purchase. My question is how much of the Texas cold will it be able to take?

It depends on which Pyracantha you have. P. coccinea should be hardy to zone 6, but if you have P. koidzumii, it is hardy to zone 8, which is probably what you are in Texas (you don't say where).

I don't know P. koidzumii, but the leaves on yours don't look quite the same as those on mine. So, just to be safe and because yours at least was a Florida-bred plant, I'd give it some winter protection on your coldest days. Zone 8 can still get down to 18 or so, so you probably are OK.

This is an odd time for blooms.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Small Pyracantha - one year as a bonsai Empty small pyracantha one year as a bonsai

Post  moyogijohn Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:25 pm

JIM,, It is looking good for just one year ! you really did a chop with the garden center bush.. that makes me wa nt to chop mine lower.. will they bud on bare wood in the spring ?? nice tree take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:10 pm

will they bud on bare wood in the spring

Yes, but remember chop scars on Pyracantha heal VERY slowly (if at all). Choose the new front with care and make the chop where it can't be seen.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down