Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please.

5 posters

Go down

Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please. Empty Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please.

Post  Poink88 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 am

I just purchased a nice size Montezuma Cypress but cannot find growing and care guides online. I saw a lot of reference to it as John Naka's first bonsai but not much else.

Does anyone have some tips to share? Question
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please. Empty Re: Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please.

Post  Russell Coker Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:02 am

I don't think there's much difference, except less knees and maybe less cold hardy.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please. Empty Re: Montezuma Cypress growing & care tips please.

Post  Jkd2572 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:47 am

Russell Coker wrote:

I don't think there's much difference, except less knees and maybe less cold hardy.

Did we determine that this was close to something else? Bald cypress?

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 am

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 am

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  John Lee Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 pm

I have one growing in the yard, or had one, I don't live there anymore. They are just like your typical bald cypress, except the limbs have a natural tendency to weep. Care should be pretty much the same.
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Russell Coker wrote:I don't think there's much difference, except less knees and maybe less cold hardy.
Good to know.

I was looking at Google images and I didn't see a flat top version but saw a lot more different "style" (in natural setting). Mine will probably be a pine looking tree though I initially planned on a flat top. Thoughts on this?

Thanks guys!!!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:10 pm

As Jeremy's last link would indicate, there was/is debate among taxonomists as to the distinctiveness between Taxodium mucronatum, T. distichum, and even T. ascendans.

The natural habitats in which each grows is different, and T. mucronatum does grow a long way from the other two. However, they all cross pollinate when grown together. Florida taxonomists I used to associate with are convinced they're all subspecies of T. distichum.

At any rate, as bonsai, treat it as you would treat a bald cypress.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:32 pm

JimLewis wrote:At any rate, as bonsai, treat it as you would treat a bald cypress.
That should be easy enough. Thanks!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down