Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Care tips for hinoki cypress

3 posters

Go down

Care tips for hinoki cypress Empty Care tips for hinoki cypress

Post  sanaomie Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Care tips for hinoki cypress Img_8210

Hello! I'm very new and have some questions about my first tree, a hinoki cypress. (I learned too late that hinokis aren't good for beginners.)

1) Is watering daily okay? Related, what's a good way to measure soil dampness (inserting chopstick, etc.)?

2) Is Biogold fertilizer okay to use every few weeks? (I'm in San Francisco if that matters.)

3) The tree is currently outside in a sunny spot. Is there anything else I can do to make sure it's healthy and happy?

Again, I'm very much a novice but eager to learn Very Happy
sanaomie
sanaomie

Back to top Go down

Care tips for hinoki cypress Empty Re: Care tips for hinoki cypress

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes... a difficult beginner tree, but should not be considered discouragingly so Wink

I tend to trust the general guidleines from Bonsai Tool Chest:

http://www.bonsaitoolchest.com/v/vspfiles/caresheets/hinoki-cypress.pdf

And then adapt that to your personal growing situation.

in direct response to your questions:

1) Yes, stick a small bamboo chopstick into the soil and pull it out daily to monitor moisture. Watering will depend on the trees consumption and the environment it is in. Again, check daily until you get to know the tree on a first name basis and recognize its needs.

2) Biogold is good, but so are many others that may be less expensive (like Dr. Earths Life or for this tree: Dr. Earths Acid Lovers)... just follow package directions for spring through fall fertilization (no real need in winter)

3) Yes - pull that clover LOL Razz
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Care tips for hinoki cypress Empty hinoki okie

Post  oldman Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 pm

What is the medium that you have planted the false cypress in? If it was already planted when you bought it, maybe the seller knows what the medium consists of.
Many factors go into watering schedules!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much sun is it getting? How fast is it taking up the moisture that you give it? How humid is its micro-environment? i.e., windy or calm? seaside or desert?
it may sound complicated at first. Many things to check. A suggestion: find a bonsai club nearby to learn. Google the net for up to date info on your specific tree. Chamaecyparis obtusa gracilis nana. I think I got that order right? No matter. " A rose by any other name..." Enjoy the essence of the tree. Get to know it, as one of the earlier repliers suggested. Best thing you can do is to not over water the tree. I bought a MOISTURE METER. Fantastic immediate results. More accurate than a chopstick.(?) Good time is sought. Enjoy.

oldman

oldman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:48 pm

oldman wrote:I bought a MOISTURE METER.  Fantastic immediate results.  More accurate than a chopstick.(?)

nothing more immediate or easier or cheaper or accurate than pulling a stick out of the substrate to see if its wet or dry... Razz
(right down in the root zone)
done daily, you will know your tree in no time

tech can be great but sometimes the simple ways are still the best ways Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

oldman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Care tips for hinoki cypress Empty moisture

Post  oldman Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:04 pm

The value of a moisture meter is for me only. If my note can help someone starting out, so be it. If not, then AMF. I spent the better part of 50 years bonsaiing(?) Used my left index finger to probe the "soil" for moisture. Now, a chop stick may sound like 'old school' , therefore it must be better. WHO SAYS? My finger got infected several times. Had to change fingers. Coincidentally, I use my middle finger (a lot). Chop sticks sometimes are dipped in a sealer/shellac, so beware of dependence on a method unless you sniff it ALL out. Be Happy

oldman

oldman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down