crape myrtle cuttings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

crape myrtle cuttings

Post  arvlanch on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not all that new to bonsai.
I'm wondering if you take a cutting from a crape myrtle
do you start it in water or soil or a combination?
I LOVED the photos Jim put up of his road side crape myrtle!
Arv

arvlanch

Back to top Go down

Re: crape myrtle cuttings

Post  JimLewis on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:20 pm

I'd use rooting hormone (Rootone, in the USA) and root in bonsai soil. You should get near 100%.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamDunham on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:25 am

I have great success with crape cuttings. I usually take them in June, and I have had some excellent survival rates. I have taken cuttings as almost as small as a paper clip, and end up with something a little fatter than a pencil by the 2nd year. I'll post some pics later. I use the Faffard 3b mix and have had excellent results. The root system by the time spring gets around is bigger than you might think. I usually do protect the cuttings in an unheated shelter in Winter, and haven't lost a single one by the time spring rolls around. I also use a rooting hormone like Jim.

AdamDunham

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Jim,
How fat can the cuttings be and still root?

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 pm

I've rooted some as big around as my thumb. You probably could go larger, but I specialize in tiny trees.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:41 am

I collected a giant crepe myrtle a couple years ago, and moved it to a growing bed. Then, In early june this year i defoliated it and cut it from 12 feet tall down to about 3 feet tall, producing 4 cuttings that were all bigger than a soda can and about 2 feet long (basically like firewood). I left just a couple leaves on each one, and i believe one of them had no leaves. I planted them in perlite/vermiculite mixture in the shade. Here it is 2 months later and all 4 are growing like crazy. I was shocked, I only though ficus and willows root that easy.

bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum