Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing Bald Cypress in water?

+14
ericrobinson
leatherback
JMcCoy
ironman
Poink88
Jkd2572
Russell Coker
Andre Beaurain
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
Marty Weiser
bucknbonsai
BonsaiJim
Steven
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Growing Bald Cypress in water? - Page 3 Empty Re: Growing Bald Cypress in water?

Post  Jkd2572 Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm

ironman wrote:@ JK
All 37 are in the full sun and water trays...NO burnt leaves here.

Interesting. I will add more organic to my mix.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Growing Bald Cypress in water? - Page 3 Empty Re: Growing Bald Cypress in water?

Post  bucknbonsai Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm

I used a Sevin drench
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  markyscott Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:08 am

Steven wrote: Having spent many summers hiking, and fishing in swaps and wetlands in the south, I have always loved bald cypress trees, unfortunately getting my hands on a larger specimen to play with where I currently live has not worked out so I have a few 1-2" thick, 40" tall younger trees I decided to make a project for the next 5-10 years lol. I know John on here/youtube has tried this and I have read several posts, brief blurbs and un-descriptive articles about growing bald cypress in water and wondered if anyone else on the site has experience doing this in a controlled setting (i.e. a pot or tub) if so what materials and methods did you do to keep the plant healthy and did you have any better results as far as growth rate?

Concerns:
1-how often would I need to switch out water
2-what would be the optimal temperature to keep the water
4-Would a bonsai soil be beneficial at this point or would it be better to use more sand/peat based mix
5-Would it be better to place a potted tree into a larger tub of water, or could you grow these similar to how you grow mangrove trees by using styrofoam to keep the tree afloat in a tub of water (obviously the tub in this case would need to be dark or covered to help with root growth and reduce algae)
6-Is it even worth trying lol

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I ran across an old BCI article that seems relevant: Chiplis, D., 1990, Effect of flooding on trunk diameter in bald cypress and its application as a bonsai technique, Bonsai Clubs International 29, p. 13-16. He conducted an experiment under semi-controlled conditions comparing trees exposed to different durations of flooding. During the courese of the growing season he periodically measured trunk diameters of the trees in comparison to the control group. I haven't attempted to replicate the results myself, but the author reported that he measured up to ~40% increase in growth rates for his bald cypress as a function of the duration of flooding and explained in some detail why this is the case. If you wish a digital copy of the article, send me a PM and I will send it to you.

markyscott

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3