Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT

+10
frk_leal
AdamDunham
Khaimraj Seepersad
fredtruck
Smithy
Rob C
Russell Coker
Zach Smith
marcus watts
William N. Valavanis
14 posters

Go down

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT Empty VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:35 am

In 1970 I got lost going to a nursery in New Jersey and got stuck in a rotary which I did not know existed. While driving around and around I suddenly discovered a witch's broom on an Atlantic White Cedar, also called Atlantic White Cypress, Chamaecyparis thyroids. Naturally I stopped and climbed to the top of the tree (I was younger then) to prune a few branches for cuttings since it had a dense compact growth habit with fine foliage.

I successfully rooted the cuttings and watched how they developed. Many were given away to my students, collectors of rare plants and nurserymen. Some were also sold at bonsai conventions. Many years later I was at the closing auction of Mayfair Nursery in Nichols, New York and I was looking around during the auctioning. Suddenly I heard "Chamaecyparis thoyoides 'Valavanis' and looked up to see one of my cuttings being auctioned. Apparently the nurseryman named the plant after me since I introduced it to the horticultural trade.

Many hundreds of cutting were taken since it rooted easily. Robert Kretzer, one of my students took my cutting seminar in the early 1970s and rooted a few Valavanis Dwarf Cypress. In 2010 he moved into a smaller home and I got one of his cuttings he was training. In May 2010 I reshaped the bonsai and transplanted it. The newly shaped bonsai was occasionally pinched and the wire was removed before it cut into the bark.

In July 2012 I reshaped the bonsai and transplanted it for my upcoming new book. Quite a difference two years makes.

Bill

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT 1valav10
May 2010 Before Shaping

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT 2valav10
May 2010 After Shaping

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT 3valav10
May 2011

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT 4valav10
July 2012 Before Shaping

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT 5valav10
July 2012 After Shaping

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT 6valav11
July 2012 After Transplanting
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT Empty Re: VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT

Post  marcus watts Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 am

hi

that is excelent - from a pile of pom poms to a really nice tree. Doesn't it grow foliage fast ! Nice story too. Very Happy

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT Empty Re: VALAVANIS DWARF CYPRESS DEVELOPMENT

Post  Zach Smith Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Very fine work, Bill. It shows what puts the "art" in the art of bonsai.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Wow, great transformation! And how cool is it to get one of your original babies back?!?

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Just by restructuring each of the foliage pads, the tree looks so natural and awesome. A really beautiful tree. Also, now the tree will grow so much better.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Very nice Bill , great work.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:15 am

Very nice, Bill. Your tree has a natural elegance.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Hats off to you Mr.Valavanis,

really beautiful, and as was mentioned before - very elegant.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamDunham Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 am

Amazing transformation and tree! Thanks for sharing, Bill.
AdamDunham
AdamDunham

Back to top Go down

Post  frk_leal Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Just wonderfull...
No other words to discribe it

frk_leal

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Bill, very nice job and an interesting story. You reap what you sow..

It's an interesting variety too.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  ross lebold Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Very inspiring, Bill. It looks like Atlantic White Cedar can backbud closer to the trunk more readily than other Chamys. In your experience is this the case?

ross lebold

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:24 pm

it is a nice story, inspiring, and good progression

now the tree is in harmony, but getting full/ripe in leaf, compared to the thickness of the trunk. I guess from now on you'll work on containing fhe foliage mass within those boundaries (as it looks now)? If the 'green' grows much more, it will gradually begin looking like a young tree again. But that could be your plan offcourse, and then again restyle it or bring it back to where it is now?

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Great proof of backbudding Bill. As yves71277 mention just keep maintain top proportion to trunk size. Great work. BTW what is the size of tree?
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 am

Nice work!
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Bill,

Are you rooting any cuttings of this tree? If so, maybe you could offer them for sale in the Spring one of these years.

I'd purchase one.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down