Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC

4 posters

Go down

Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC Empty Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC

Post  AJ Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Bill Valavanis was at the North Carolina Arboretum this past weekend, the final stop on his 2009 Southeastern tour. Bill did a lecture/demo and two workshops, and did the usual fine job of it.

Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC Img_1810

What makes it remarkable, however, is that, as most people on this site know, his house was completely destroyed in a fire just a couple of weeks before this tour was to begin. It's hard to imagine anyone else who could suffer such a calamity and still go on and honor the commitments he made months ago. Bill was in constant contact with his family during his time here, monitoring all the ongoing work to set up a makeshift trailer park adjacent to their burned house, so they can stay on their property until a new house is built. His family lost all their personal possessions in the fire, and I can only imagine what it takes to put your life back together after such a catastrophe. Yet here was Bill, back at work, pressing on and keeping to his always-hectic schedule. And doing an outstanding job of it, just as you'd expect.

It reminded me of something that I've known for awhile now - In the United States, Bill Valavanis sets the standard for bonsai professionalism.

Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC Img_1811
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC Empty Re: Bill Valavanis in Asheville, NC

Post  Paul Landis Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Bill did a wonderful presentation on Spring Flowering Bonsai at the Lehigh Valley Bonsai Society(Eastern PA) meeting two weeks ago.

I'm glad I was able to see Bill in action.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Hemingway spoke of "grace under pressure" Bill is surely an example. And has been said, he is a true professional.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:58 am

I'm going in November. Any advice? To the NCA.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down