is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Ahuehuete on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 am

HI I'm new in the bonsai world.
I've read some bonsai books but I haven't found the answer to my questions.

I'd like to start with some nursery trees. is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it, considering that it is already July (summer)???
or when would it be the best time??

if it depends on the weather. I'm from Puebla, Mexico. the weather now is hot and sunny durind the mornings and cloudy and rainy during the afternoons.

some advices about how to start????

I hope somebody can help me please, I would be really gratefull!!
thanks!!!!

Ahuehuete
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Ryan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 am

Welcome!


I would not repot anything other than tropicals at this time of the year. What kind of tree(s) do you have?

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  leatherback on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:02 am

I would leave it in the pot it is in, or slip-pot it in a bigger container. Do not do too much rootwork if it is hot. Some species (e.g., european oak) will prefer rootwork in summer, though cooler weather would be preferred.

leatherback
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Dave Murphy on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 pm

This will depend to some extent on the species of trees you are working with, but you really need someone in your region or who has similar growing conditions to yours to give you advice. Good luck.

Dave Murphy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Dave Murphy wrote:This will depend to some extent on the species of trees you are working with, but you really need someone in your region or who has similar growing conditions to yours to give you advice. Good luck.

Agreed, a tropical such as Ficus (multiple varieties) or Champeche can be repoted now.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  Ahuehuete on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 am

Ryan wrote:Welcome!


I would not repot anything other than tropicals at this time of the year. What kind of tree(s) do you have?

I would like to start with an Ahuhuete (Taxodium mucronatum), which is a Mexican tree
an Azalea
and a Bougainvillea

Ahuehuete
Member


Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  Ahuehuete on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:24 am

Thank you!!
I really appeciate your help.
As a begginer I'm exited about starting, and I know I mustn't hurry.
I want to do things the correct way that's why I asked you for some advices.

Ahuehuete
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 am

Ahuehuete wrote:
Ryan wrote:Welcome!


I would not repot anything other than tropicals at this time of the year. What kind of tree(s) do you have?

I would like to start with an Ahuhuete (Taxodium mucronatum), which is a Mexican tree
an Azalea
and a Bougainvillea

The Bougie would be OK.
The Azalea I would wait on, unless you are at a higher, cooler elevation, the Azalea isn't going to be happy. Do people grow Azaleas in their yards where you live?
Taxodium I will need to check on, but I think not.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 am

I checked on the Taxodium mucronatum and I would wait..
Depending upon your location in Mexico most of your repotting is going to done in Jan. and Feb.
As I said an exception might be if you are at a higher, cooler location.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Thank you for the information.

Post  Ahuehuete on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I checked on the Taxodium mucronatum and I would wait..
Depending upon your location in Mexico most of your repotting is going to done in Jan. and Feb.
As I said an exception might be if you are at a higher, cooler location.

thak you for your help.
I would take your advice and wait!

Ahuehuete
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 am

I looked for Puebla on a map and this city does seem to be in the mountains Southeast of Mexico DF, as such it might be possible to work all year on most trees.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

thak you for the information!

Post  Ahuehuete on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I looked for Puebla on a map and this city does seem to be in the mountains Southeast of Mexico DF, as such it might be possible to work all year on most trees.

than you for the information, unfortunately I like close to the capital which is about 1 hour far from the mountains and the volcano.

is it still possible to work all year???

Ahuehuete
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:22 am

Ahuehuete wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I looked for Puebla on a map and this city does seem to be in the mountains Southeast of Mexico DF, as such it might be possible to work all year on most trees.

than you for the information, unfortunately I like close to the capital which is about 1 hour far from the mountains and the volcano.

is it still possible to work all year???

Probably not. What is you daytime high temperature right now?

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

the temperature

Post  Ahuehuete on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
Ahuehuete wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I looked for Puebla on a map and this city does seem to be in the mountains Southeast of Mexico DF, as such it might be possible to work all year on most trees.

than you for the information, unfortunately I like close to the capital which is about 1 hour far from the mountains and the volcano.

is it still possible to work all year???

Probably not. What is you daytime high temperature right now?

the temperatures this week for example are: from 10°C to 22°C

we have sunny mornings and cloudy and rainy afternoons.
today it was cloudy the whole day.

Ahuehuete
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:46 pm

I converted 10C and 22C to F and got a range of 50 to 70 degrees, I think with that kind of temperature you should be a able to repot about anything?

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Poink88 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I converted 10C and 22C to F and got a range of 50 to 70 degrees, I think with that kind of temperature you should be a able to repot about anything?
I agree with Billy, with temps like that, it should be okay to repot right now. You must have a year round growing season...I have zone ENVY!!! geek

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  nickalpin on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm curious to have everyone would define 'repot' in this instance.
Simply combing out roots and changing the growing medium and/or doing a root reduction?

nickalpin
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:26 pm

nickalpin wrote:I'm curious to have everyone would define 'repot' in this instance.
Simply combing out roots and changing the growing medium and/or doing a root reduction?

Repotting varies by tree, species and season. Some tropicals can have most of the roots removed and all the soil, other trees I would leave 2/3's of the soil and roots. This part of the learning curve in Bonsai and why a local club can be very valuable.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  nickalpin on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Repotting varies by tree, species and season. Some tropicals can have most of the roots removed and all the soil, other trees I would leave 2/3's of the soil and roots. This part of the learning curve in Bonsai and why a local club can be very valuable.

Thanks Billy, I'm actually a member of CFBC. I was asking for the benefit of the OP, who either may not be as familiar with the terms or the context.

nickalpin
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: is it possible to pot a nursery tree just after I bought it???

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:02 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum