Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air-layer Olea Europea

2 posters

Go down

air-layer Olea Europea Empty air-layer Olea Europea

Post  leatherback Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi All,

Recently I bought a small olive, base roughly 12cm across narrowing to some 3 cm very quickly. The canopy then sits 20cm higher. I would like to graft the top out, and keep the base to create 2 bonsai. I have however no experience with olives. So some advice please:

I felt it was best to not air-layer befor having some green below the layer. Therefor I trimmed the top hard to induce sprouting at the base. After 3 weeks still no bud forming at the base, even though the top has created new sprouts, which have been removed and have resprouted by now.

- Can one air layer olives (Also so late in the year?)
- Will olive resprout at the base?
- Do need to wait for new foliage to appear below the intended layer before setting the layer to ensure survival of the base[which is the reason why I bought the plant in the first place)?

As I am a new contributor (but avid reader) of the site, just to give you some insight in my skills: I have been growing plants of all sorts for the past 20 years; a biologist by training. I do not have a lot of experience in bonsai itself; Fiddled with it some 20 years ago, but re-kindled the love for it when I finally decided to settle down and got myself a stable enough lifestyle some 3 years ago. Now mainly loads of pre-bonsai; rowing from seed, cutting, garden centre and some old stock from hedgerows etc. Nothing close to being called bonsai.

Thx,

Jelle.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

air-layer Olea Europea Empty Re: air-layer Olea Europea

Post  newzealandteatree Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi Jelle,

First, you may have to adjust my experiences to suit your climate as I live in Perth, Western Australia where our trees grow almost the whole year round, even in our mild winter of 0 - 20+ C.
Second, I have no problem airlayering olive. Very easy infact. Best time for me is Spring.
Third, my olive bud back without problem. My olive also grow from bare base. I have also managed to grow from the bottom half of the base which was cut off.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

CJ
http://newzealandteatreebonsai.blogspot.com.au/
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi CJ,

thanks for that. WIsh I was back in Australie (Used to live in Melbourne & Darwin).

Do you recommend letting the olive sprout from the base before setting the air-layer?

J.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Jesse,
What a small world. In tropical Darwin, trees grow year round.

Of course it is safer in colder climate to let the tree shoots from the base before u cut off the top. In Perth, I don't need to. It will be a waste of time to take that precaution. So u will have to decide as I have not experience growing bonsai in your kind of climate.

Cheers,

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down