Olea europea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olea europea

Post  Storm on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey everyone.
I bought an olive tree earlier this winter. It looked ok, and has spent its life in a gardencentre.
It was planted in clay-ish soil, and I have asked about this earlier.
its small, but I think it looked nice. One branch suddenly grew out, and became about 10 inches long.
Now, its still healty, the branch, but all the other leaves have fallen off one at a time. They curl up and get hard and brown.
I guess its because of the dryness of the air, and too little watering.
I water it now and then and try not letting it dry out too much. They dont like overwatering either Ive read.
It gets some sun, but not much. Its sparse here at this time of year.
Any suggestions what I should do? Even if I water a bit more often, it doesnt look like it will take. Im afraid that the clay has become to hard in
the centre. Its not planted in a bonsai pot. It was planted in a plastic container when I got it. I took it out, without disturbing the roots, and put it into a flower pot. I know you will think its strange, but I thought it might help for the humidity. And I really dont think root rot is a problem at this point. There are some holes in the pot, so excessive water will pour out, but no the same way as bonsai pots.
I just gotta keep it healthy untill I can place it outside. its been down to about 20 minus celcius, and suddenly up at plus 6 now and then.

Sincerely
Storm

Storm

Back to top Go down

Olea europaea

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:06 am

Storm wrote:
It was planted in clay-ish soil,

I'm afraid you don't have much hope with this one. At this point, you have nothing to lose by repotting it in decent bonsai soil.

Storm wrote:One branch suddenly grew out, and became about 10 inches long.
Now, it's still healty, the branch, but all the other leaves have fallen off one at a time. They curl up and get hard and brown.

The rest of the tree may be dead. Scratch the bark on those branches.

Storm wrote:I guess its because of the dryness of the air, and too little watering.

Not too likely. Olive is a semi-desert tree. One of your problems is that it has had no dormant period. The sub-tropicals are not as strict as temperate trees, but they do like their autumn rest.

Storm wrote:It gets some sun, but not much. Its sparse here at this time of year.
Any suggestions what I should do?
Sincerely
Storm

As I suggested before, run, do not walk, to the hardware store, buy a shoplight (utility fluorescent lamp), and put your tree under it 18 hours a day.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Olea europea

Post  Storm on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 am

Thank you for your help!
Its much appriciated.
Ill see what I can get. =)

Storm

Back to top Go down

Olea europaea

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 pm