Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper)

4 posters

Go down

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper) Empty Before I Knew Anything (help juniper)

Post  Jake16 Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:10 am

This is my very first tree and I couldnt wait to start pruning and trimming. This is before I knew anything at all Smile . So I have a some what idea for it now but I am looking for advice.

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper) 2012-012

all the branches are on top

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper) 2012-013

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper) 2012-014

I was thinking chop it at the first of second branch to create a shohin. The trunk also needs to thicken.

Thanks

Jake

Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper) Empty Re: Before I Knew Anything (help juniper)

Post  Steven Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 am

If you want the trunk to thicken you just need to let it alone and let it grow, either in the ground or in a larger container, possibly an azalea pot for the next year or two to help develop more radial roots, after that, pot it up to a larger pot or put it in the ground until its the size you want, in the mean time I would take advantage of that time to do some reading, here on the forum, other sites, books, even youtube to get a better understanding of the plants, the techniques, and how to proceed. When I got into bonsai a few years ago I too rushed out and bought a small juniper and started wring and pruning and after almost killing the tree and it looking like crap I decided to take a step back and do my homework, still learning and loving it, but definitely more patient.

Check these out.....

www.bonsai4me.com

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~okamigardens/Articles/DevelopingMaples.htm
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Before I Knew Anything (help juniper) Empty Re: Before I Knew Anything (help juniper)

Post  Jake16 Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:29 am

Oh yeah trust me after this I did my research Smile. I have looked up everything I could and bought a couple books and watched every thing on youtube. Smile How about a future design plan? any ideas ?

Thanks

Jake
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:33 am

depending on how long and large you want to grow it out, and how well and in what direction the foliage develops, you could turn it into any number of things, at this point its just kind of a beginning point if you want to thicken it up, once you reach the size you want, the growth you have at that point will give you a better idea of what you can create, although if you clip and wire as it is allowed to grow(after a season or two of growth) you can kind of take it any direction you want to take it, well with a little luck and work over several years
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:35 am

Yeah, it has a long road ahead before its anything, but i have nothing but time Smile

Thanks

Jake
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 am

lol, very true
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:02 am

Thats probably not a good colour for a juni, dont be surprised if it dies mate. Sorry.
CraftyTanuki
CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:33 am

CraftyTanuki wrote:Thats probably not a good colour for a juni, dont be surprised if it dies mate. Sorry.
Actually, I think it is already dead. Sorry.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:56 am

Poink88 wrote:
CraftyTanuki wrote:Thats probably not a good colour for a juni, dont be surprised if it dies mate. Sorry.
Actually, I think it is already dead. Sorry.

Im actually glad that you said something. The story is that in early spring great growth, then it stopped growing, come to find out that it had spider mites, fixed it with homemade solution, then I noticed it was turing brown at the new growth and in some other places so im not sure whats going on, so if anyone has any guesses I would love to hear them.

Truely it will be sad if this tree dies as it is with all bonsai trees but all is good. This tree isnt anything special, I just wanted to keep it alive because my younger brother got it for me and it was the tree that got me into bonsai. Smile
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down