I cant think of what to do with this Juniper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  warrenH on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:53 am

It has these very long branches, 2 of which are at soil level. I like this J. but after looking at it for several years without getting inspired to go in any particular direction, I just dont know what to do with it. I need some help with design ideas. I'm re-potting it into a smaller wooden box late this coming winter. How would you proceed?

warrenH

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:33 am

Hello Warhar. I would start by cutting back those very long branches to strengthen the inner part of the tree. Don't cut back past the foliage though, or the branches will die. Can you then take some photos a bit closer and from several angles.

Back to top Go down

Re: I cant think of what to do with this Juniper

Post  flor1 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:33 pm

If this was mine which it's not I'd remove the two branches at ground level. Then start shortening everything else. This can end up being a nice Bonsai with a little thought and time. Good Luck

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenH on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. The plan was - potting it into one of these cedar wooden boxes (like the one pictured) I started building and using a few years ago and develop this JP over several years. I'm in no hurry at all plus I'm a chicken when it comes to cutting branches. I've made a few regrettable mistakes in the past anyway, I think I will just shorten the limbs somewhat (not as far back as they will be in the final design) and not remove the lower ground level limbs yet because I feel like they can still contribute to swelling the base a little. Maybe I will get inspired with a direction once I get it into the cedar box.

I'll post photo's of it when I get it in the training box and try to pick some brains about how I should proceed then. Thanks.

warrenH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum