Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 Meihinten-- photos by Jeff Amas

+7
chansen
trantanhung_nt
Andre Beaurain
stonener
ogie
Billy M. Rhodes
Chris Cochrane
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2012 Meihinten-- photos by Jeff Amas - Page 2 Empty Re: 2012 Meihinten-- photos by Jeff Amas

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Traditionally, suiseki are not fossils. Since a coprolite ("dung feces") is a fossil, it is probably not the source. Still, this does seem formed by modelling rather than by natural weathering. I'm reminded of the formed casts left of bodies at Pompeii. What to make of it as suiseki is a good question, Todd.

Andre is correct (in an earlier question) about the outer layer of granite peeling off a boulder (& then weathering) to form two of the stones illustrated. These are kurama-ishi-- red granite stones sourced from the Kyoto area. The Kurama & Kibune Rivers join the Kamo River just north of Kyoto. Kurama stone is very often seen in among Kyoto stepping stones. The fine-grained red granite is appreciated as suiseki for mountain stones suggesting autumn season color as well as the color of a mountain at break-of-day. The peeled granite crescents are best-known as boat stones, but could arguably be appreciated as "water pool"/mizutamari stones.

An article in California Aiseki Kai magazine suggested any "boat-shaped stone"/funagata-ishi appreciated as landscape-view stone (the most narrow limit of suiseki appreciation) should be read as a plain boat that has been partially submerged in still water (arguably, as a "romanticized ruin"/"landscaping folly"). Since many Japanese gardens contain just such a plain, partially-submerged boat in pond--e.g., Nezu Museum garden, Tokyo-- linked HERE. Combining the boat-shaped stone with water perceived in its interior (whether actually pooled or not) might add another level of consideration & feeling for boat-shaped suiseki observers.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

2012 Meihinten-- photos by Jeff Amas - Page 2 Empty Re: 2012 Meihinten-- photos by Jeff Amas

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Thank you Chris.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:44 am

I also like going back and forth with the stones, we still havnt figured out what stone #22 is, it still looks to me like Coprolite - Teradactyl poo, the other thing it could be is mud splatter. But for sure that wasnt formed by water and wind erosion!
I have seen fossils as Suiseki, Fossilized bamboo roots, cycas cones ect.

I missed the joke....and the game?

Yvonne you do like quite stones as a preference?

My favourite is #20 #28 and #40
I agree # 29 is very powerfull!

love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Andre

Thanks for asking Smile

I like awesome "wild" stones too.....But the quet stones, is always a rest for my eyes, when I think about things.
The other kind of stones demands activity from me, and takes my full attension.

Stone nr. 20 is a highclass stone, but a bit spacey for me.

stone nr. 28 Looks like a chrysantemumstone, rough and like a landscape..The stone is awesome holding theese 3 elements, and on the top of this, does it look like it is partly covered with snow....very nice indeed.

Stone nr. 29 One of the best waterfallstones I ever saw, elegant rough and with a awesome movement together with the platou.

Stone nr. 40 is the very nice honest version of stone nr. 22, who to me is terrible...It could have been nice, but it looks like parts have been broken off not long ago, and also does it give me a feeling of industrial vaste....This stone, or whatever it is, does not give me the "suiseki-feeling"...was it a real stone, and I found it, would it have stayed in the garden for the fun of it....I like the daiza with the stone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2